Analysis of Factors Causing Long Patient Waiting Time and Clinic Overtime in Outpatient Clinics
- 2.3k Downloads
This paper is focused on the factors causing long patient waiting time/clinic overtime in outpatient clinics and how to mitigate them using discrete event simulation. A two-week period of data collection is conducted in an outpatient clinic of a Singapore government hospital. Detailed time study from patient arrival to patient departure is conducted, and the possible factors causing long patient waiting time/clinic overtime are discussed. A discrete simulation model is constructed to illustrate how to improve the clinic performance by mitigating the detected factors. Simulation and implementation results show that significant improvement is achieved if the factors are well addressed.
KeywordsOutpatient clinic Appointment scheduling Consultation waiting time Clinic overtime Discrete event simulation
The authors wish to sincerely thank staffs in the Singapore government hospital for providing source data used in this study and professional opinions.
- 1.http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com [24 March 2010].
- 2.http://www.wikipedia.org [24 March 2010].
- 3.http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/pressreleases.aspx?id=964 [24 March 2010].
- 4.Bailey, N., A study of queues and appointment systems in hospital outpatient departments, with special reference to waiting-times. J R Stat Soc Ser 14:185–189, 1952.Google Scholar
- 10.Lau, H., and Lau, A. H., A fast procedure for computing the total system cost of an appointment schedule for medical and kindred facilities. IIE Trans 32(9):833–839, 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.Fetter, R., and Thompson, J., Patients’ waiting time and doctors’ idle time in the outpatient setting. Health Services Res. 1:66–90, 1966.Google Scholar
- 20.http://www.simul8.com/ [24 March 2010].