Automatic Detection of Erythemato-Squamous Diseases Using k-Means Clustering
A new approach based on the implementation of k-means clustering is presented for automated detection of erythemato-squamous diseases. The purpose of clustering techniques is to find a structure for the given data by finding similarities between data according to data characteristics. The studied domain contained records of patients with known diagnosis. The k-means clustering algorithm’s task was to classify the data points, in this case the patients with attribute data, to one of the five clusters. The algorithm was used to detect the five erythemato-squamous diseases when 33 features defining five disease indications were used. The purpose is to determine an optimum classification scheme for this problem. The present research demonstrated that the features well represent the erythemato-squamous diseases and the k-means clustering algorithm’s task achieved high classification accuracies for only five erythemato-squamous diseases.
KeywordsClustering k-Means clustering Erythemato-squamous diseases Classification accuracy
- 2.Baumgartner, C., Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining in Biomedicine, Thesis for Habilitation, University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology, 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.Margaret, H. D., Data Mining: Introductory and Advanced Topics, Prentice-Hall, ISBN: 0-13-088892-3, 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Han, J., and Kamber, M., Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, Morgan Kaufmann, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.A Tutorial on Clustering Algorithms”, see: http://www.elet.polimi.it/upload/matteucc/Clustering/tutorial_html/, 2006.
- 10.Wu, M.-N., Lin, C.-C., and Chang, C.-C., Brain tumor detection using color-based k-means clustering segmentation, intelligent information hiding and multimedia signal processing, 2007. IIHMSP 2007. Third International Conference on 2, 245–250, 26–28, 2007.Google Scholar
- 11.McLeod, P., and Verma, B., Clustering and Least Square Based Neural Technique for Learning and Identification of Suspicious Areas within Digital Mammograms, Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications, 2007. International Conference on, 1:190-194, 13-15 2007.Google Scholar
- 12.Bolshakova, N., and Azuaje, F., Estimating the number of clusters in DNA microarray data. Methods Inf. Med. 45:2153–157, 2006.Google Scholar
- 13.Chekanov, S., JMinHEP—data mining framework for high-energy physics”, see: http://projects.hepforge.org/jminhep/, 2006.