Optimal control of chemical birth and growth processes in a deterministic model
- 59 Downloads
An optimal control problem for a deterministic model of chemical birth and growth processes is studied. The cost functional takes into account the two main industrial competitive interests: to avoid low temperatures and to shorten the cooling time. Explicit expressions of the optimal controls are obtained by using an analytical approximation of the relation between the instantaneous amount of crystallized polymer and the total amount of cold injected into the sample until this instant of time. Numerical simulations are shown to illustrate the good agreement with the analytical expressions. It is surprising and remarkable that the explicit expressions of the optimal controls can be derived by minimizing an elementary function in one real variable.
KeywordsOptimal control Polymer crystallization Numerical simulations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Avrami, Kinetics of phase change I, II and III. J. Chem. Phys. 7, 1103–1112 (1939); J. Chem. Phys. 8, 212–224 (1940); J. Chem. Phys. 9, 177–184 (1941)Google Scholar
- 4.Capasso, V. (eds): Mathematical Modelling for Polymer Processing. Polymerization, Crystallization, Manufacturing, Mathematics in Industry Series, vol. 2. Springer, Berlin (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Capasso V.: Mathematical Models for Polymer Crystallization Processes. In: Capasso, V., Engl, H., Periau, J. (eds) Computational Mathematics Driven by Industrial Problems, pp. 39–67. Springer, Berlin (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.V. Capasso, R. Escobedo, C. Salani, in Moving Bands and Moving Boundaries in an Hybrid Model for the Crystallization of Polymers, Free Boundary Problems, Theory and Applications, vol. 147, ed. by P. Colli, C. Verdi, A. Visintin, (Birkhäuser, 2004), pp. 75–86Google Scholar
- 7.R. Escobedo, V. Capasso, in Reduction of a Mathhematical Model for Polymer Crystallization, Progress in Industrial Mathematics at ECMI 2002, ed. by A. Buikis, R. Ciegis, A.D. Fitt (Springer, Berlin, 2004), pp. 259–263Google Scholar
- 10.Kolmogoroff A.N.: On the statistical theory of the crystallization of metals. Isv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Math. 1, 355–359 (1937)Google Scholar