Resonances and Dynamical Fragmentation in a Stirred Bose–Einstein Condensate
- 208 Downloads
Superfluids are distinguished from ordinary fluids by the quantized manner in which the rotation is manifested in them. Precisely, quantized vortices are known to appear in the bulk of a superfluid subject to external rotation. In this work we study a trapped ultracold Bose gas of \(N=101\) atoms interacting with finite-range potential in two spatial dimensions that is stirred by a rotating beam. We use the multiconfigurational Hartree method for bosons, which goes beyond the mainstream mean-field theory, to calculate the dynamics of the gas in real time. As the gas is rotated, the wavefunction of the system changes symmetry and topology. We see a series of resonances, i.e., peaks in the total energy, as the stirring frequency is increased. Fragmentation and a change of the symmetry of the density of the gas accompany the appearance of these resonances. We conclude that fragmentation of the gas appears hand-in-hand with resonant absorption of energy and angular momentum from the external agent of rotation.
KeywordsUltracold Bose gas Quantized vortex Phantom vortex Many-body physics MCTDHB http://ultracold.org
We thank V.S. Bagnato and S. Weiner for essential and useful comments on the manuscript. M.C.T acknowledges financial support from FAPESP. A.U.J.L. acknowledges financial support by the Swiss SNF and the NCCR Quantum Science and Technology. Computational time in the Hermit Cray computer of the HLRS is also gratefully acknowledged. Last, A.U.J.L. thanks Centro de Pesquisas em Óptica e Fotônica (CEPOF) of the Institute of Physics of São Carlos (IFSC) of the University of São Paulo (USP) for generous hospitality.
- 1.C. Pethick, H. Smith, Bose–Einstein Condensations in Dilute Gases (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Inouye, S. Gupta, T. Rosenband, A.P. Chikkatur, A. Görlitz, T.L. Gustavson, A.E. Leanhardt, D.E. Pritchard, W. Ketterle. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 080402 (2001)Google Scholar
- 23.S.E. Weiner, M.C. Tsatsos, L.S. Cederbaum, and A.U.J. Lode, arXiv:1409.7670
- 26.E.A. Cornell, personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 29.A.U.J. Lode and M.C. Tsatsos, The recursive multiconfigurational time-dependent Hartree for Bosons Package, version 1.0, (2014), http://ultracold.org. Accessed 07 Sept 2015
- 31.Lode A.U.J. Tunneling Dynamics in Open Ultracold Bosonic Systems, Springer Theses, Springer Heidelberg, (2014)Google Scholar
- 36.A.U.J. Lode, B. Chakrabarti, V.K.B. Kota, arXiv:1501.02611 [cond-mat.quant-gas] (2015)