Advanced Concepts in Josephson Junction Reflection Amplifiers
- 388 Downloads
Low-noise amplification at microwave frequencies has become increasingly important for the research related to superconducting qubits and nanoelectromechanical systems. The fundamental limit of added noise by a phase-preserving amplifier is the standard quantum limit, often expressed as noise temperature \(T_q=\hbar \omega /2k_B\). Towards the goal of the quantum limit, we have developed an amplifier based on intrinsic negative resistance of a selectively damped Josephson junction. Here we present measurement results on previously proposed wide-band microwave amplification and discuss the challenges for improvements on the existing designs. We have also studied flux-pumped metamaterial-based parametric amplifiers, whose operating frequency can be widely tuned by external DC-flux, and demonstrate operation at \(2\omega \) pumping, in contrast to the typical metamaterial amplifiers pumped via signal lines at \(\omega \).
KeywordsJosephson Junction Negative Resistance Parametric Amplifier Microwave Loss Band Stop Filter
Our work was supported in part by the EU 7th Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013, Grant No. 228464 Microkelvin) and by the Academy of Finland (Projects No. 250280 [LTQ CoE Grant], No. 135908 and No. 263457). This research project made use of the Aalto University Cryohall infrastructure.
- 15.N. Calander, T. Claeson, S. Runder. J. Appl. Phys. 53, 5093 (1982)Google Scholar
- 17.L.A. Blackwell, K.L. Kotzebue, Semiconductor Diode Parametric Amplifiers (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1961)Google Scholar
- 18.M. Tinkham, Introduction to Supercondictivity, 2nd edn. (Dover, Mineola, 2004)Google Scholar
- 21.K.K. Likharev, Dynamics of Josephson Junctions and Circuits, 3rd edn. (Gordon And Breach, Amsterdam, 1997)Google Scholar
- 24.J. Hassel, P. Lahteenmki, A. Timofeev, G. S. Paraoanu, P. J. Hakonen, in PIERS Proceedings, August 12–15, Stockholm (2013), pp. 484–488.Google Scholar
- 25.D. Gunnarsson, J-M. Pirkkalainen, J. Li, et al., Sup. Sci. Technol. 26, 085010 (2013)Google Scholar