Polarization Effects in Superfluid 4He
- 48 Downloads
A theory of thermoelectric phenomena in superfluid 4He is developed. It is found an estimation of the dipole moment of helium atom arising due to electron shell deformation caused by pushing forces from the side of its surrounding atoms. The corresponding electric signal generated in a liquid consisting of electrically neutral atoms by the ordinary sound waves is found extremely small. The second sound waves in superfluid 4He generate the polarization of liquid induced by the relative accelerated motion of the superfluid and the normal component. The derived ratio of the amplitudes of temperature and electric polarization potential was proved to be practically temperature independent. Its magnitude is in reasonable correspondence with the experimental observations. The polarity of electric signal is determined by the sign of temperature gradient in accordance with the measurements. The problem of the roton excitations dipole moment is also discussed.
KeywordsSuperfluid 4He Polarization effects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.S. Rybalko, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 30, 1321 (2004) [Low Temp. Phys. 30, 994 (2004)] Google Scholar
- 2.A.S. Rybalko, S.P. Rubets, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 31, 820 (2005) [Low Temp. Phys. 31, 623 (2005)] Google Scholar
- 4.A.S. Rybalko, V.A. Tikhiy, preprint 13 June 2010 Google Scholar
- 6.A.S. Rybalko, S.P. Rubets, E.Ya. Rudavskii, V.A. Tikhii, R. Golovashchenko, V.N. Derkach, S.I. Tarapov, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 34, 326 (2008) Google Scholar
- 7.A.S. Rybalko, S.P. Rubets, E.Ya. Rudavskii, V.A. Tikhii, R. Golovashchenko, V.N. Derkach, S.I. Tarapov, arXiv:0811.2114
- 8.A.S. Rybalko, S.P. Rubets, E.Ya. Rudavskii, V.A. Tikhiy, R. Golovachenko, V.N. Derkach, S.I. Tarapov, arXiv:0807.4810
- 10.V.P. Mineev, Pis’ma v ZhETF 90, 866 (2009) [JETP Lett. 90, 768 (2009)] Google Scholar
- 11.L. Onsager, Discussion at an international conference on statistical mechanics, Florence, 17–20 May 1949. Nouvo Cim. Suppl. 2(9), 249 (1949) Google Scholar
- 12.R.P. Feynman, Statistical Mechanics (Benjamin, New York, 1972) Google Scholar
- 16.I.M. Khalatnikov, Introduction to the Theory of Superfluidity (Benjamin, New York, 1965) Google Scholar