Preliminary Measurements on Grid Turbulence in Liquid 4He
- 60 Downloads
A grid has been pulled through a column of liquid helium at speeds as high as 1 m/s and at temperatures as low as 90 mK. A 300 micrometer Ge thermometer with response time of less than 1 ms measured the temperature rise resulting from the decay of the turbulence generated. It is believed that homogeneous, isotropic quantum turbulence was formed, since mesh Reynolds numbers in excess of 100,000 were created. The rates and power spectra of the energy increases detected in the helium after grid-pulls are determined. The results are compared to other quantum and classical results, and to the theory of the Kelvin wave cascade in a viscosity-free fluid.
KeywordsSuperfluid 4He Turbulence Kolmogorov Grid
PACS47.27.Gs 47.37.+q 67.40.Vs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. Tisza, Comptes Rendus 207, 1035, 1186 (1938) Google Scholar
- 4.L. Tisza, J. Phys. Rad. 1, 165, 350 (1940) Google Scholar
- 5.L. Landau, J. Phys. U.S.S.R. 5, 71 (1941) Google Scholar
- 7.J. Wilks, D.S. Betts, An Introduction to Liquid Helium (Oxford University Press, New York, 1987) Google Scholar
- 9.R.P. Feynman, in Progress in Low Temperature Physics, vol. 1, ed. by C.J. Gorter (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1955), p. 34 Google Scholar
- 10.J.T. Tough, in Progress in Low Temperature Physics, vol. VIII, ed. by C.J. Gorter (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1955), p. 133 Google Scholar
- 23.Y. Zhou, V.F. Mitin, S.C. Liu, I. Luria, M. Padron, R. Adjimambetov, G.G. Ihas, in Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Low Temperature Physics, ed. by Y. Takano, et al., Orlando, FL, Aug. 2005. AIP Conf. Proc., vol. 850 (AIP, New York, 2006), p. 1631 Google Scholar
- 24.National Instruments board PCI-MIO-16E-4, http://www.ni.com
- 25.A. Golov, private communication Google Scholar