Turbulence generated by vibrating wire resonators in superfluid 4He at low temperatures
- First Online:
- 117 Downloads
We have measured responses of vibrating wire resonators in superfluid 4He at millikelvin temperatures. We find evidence for turbulence generation above a critical velocity on the order of a few cm/s. At the critical velocity for the onset of turbulence, the resonator velocity abruptly decreases and shows hysteretic behavior. Surprisingly we find that the resonant frequencies of the resonators increase in the turbulent regime. We also find that the critical velocity may be reduced by the presence of turbulence generated by a neighboring vibrating wire resonator, allowing the detection of existing turbulence in the low temperature regime.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.1. R.J.Donnelly, Quantized vortices in Helium II, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, (1991).Google Scholar
- 2.2. C.F.Barenghi and D.C.Samuels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 155302 (2002).Google Scholar
- 3.3. S.I.Davis, P.C. Hendry and P.V.E.McClintock, Physica B 280, 43 (2000).Google Scholar
- 4.4. H.A.Nichol, L.Skrbek, P.C.Hendry, and P.V.E.McClintock, accepted for Phys. Rev. Lett..Google Scholar
- 5.5. D.I. Bradley, D.O.Clubb, S.N. Fisher, A.M. Guénault, C.J.Matthews and G.R. Pickett, J. Low Temp. Phys. 134, 381 (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.6. S.N.Fisher, A.J.Hale, A.M.Guénault, and G.R.Pickett, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 244 (2001).Google Scholar
- 7.7. D.I. Bradley, S.N. Fisher, A.M. Guénault, M.R. Lowe, G.R. Pickett and A. Rahm Physica B 329, 64 (2003).Google Scholar
- 8.8. J.Jäger, B.Schuderer and W. Schoepe, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 566 (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.9. Yu.M.Bunkov, A.M.Guénault, D.Hayward, D.A.Jackson, C.J.Kennedy, T.Nichols, I.E.Miller, G.R.Pickett and M.G.Ward, J. Low Temp. Phys. 83, 257 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.10. W. Schoepe Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 095301-1 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.11. D.I. Bradley, S.N. Fisher, A.M. Guénault, M.R. Lowe, G.R. Pickett and A. Rahm Physica B 329, 104 (2003).Google Scholar