Multifunctional CuO Nanosheets for High-Performance Supercapacitor Electrodes with Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity
- 10 Downloads
This paper reports the facile hydrothermal approach to synthesize porous CuO nanosheets. Their crystalline phase, metallic vibrations, topography, morphology, pore size distribution and magnetic behavior has been studied in detail. Magnetic properties of nanosheets were studied at 300 K using vibrating sample magnetometer which indicates the superparamagnetic behavior with saturation magnetization of 2.46 emu g−1 for as prepared 2D nanostructures. The electrochemical spectroscopy of these sheets reveals that as prepared sheets have a specific capacitance of 1057 F g−1 at a current density of 2 A g−1 which is retained up to 93% even after 4000 cycles. Furthermore, photocatalytic activity along with electrochemical properties of the as-obtained nanostructures were studied for various organic dyes. The high value of saturation magnetization, high specific capacitance and better dye degradation properties of the developed CuO nanosheets make the developed materials good for application in energy storage devices, astonishing electrode material and photocatalyst for degradation of organic dyes in visible light.
KeywordsNanostructures Electrochemical measurements Magnetic properties Energy storage
The authors, Narender Budhiraja and Sapna are thankful to DST-Haryana for their financial support as SRF under RETC project at Department of Physics, DCRUST, Murthal, India and very grateful to Prof. O.P. Pandey, Head, School of Physics and Materials Science, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala for VSM characterization.
- 4.O. Lupan, V. Cretu, V. Postica, N. Ababii, O. Polonskyi, V. Kaidas, F. Schütt, Y.K. Mishra, E. Monaico, I. Tiginyanu, V. Sontea, T. Strunskus, F. Faupel, R. Adelung, Enhanced ethanol vapour sensing performances of copper oxide nanocrystals with mixed phases. Sens. Actuators B 224, 434–448 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.S.K. Shinde, D.P. Dubal, G.S. Ghodake, V.J. Fulari, Hierarchical 3D-flower-like CuO nanostructure on copper foil for supercapacitor. RSC Adv. 5, 4443–4447 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.S.C. Bhise, D.V. Awale, M.M. Vadiyar, S.K. Patil, B.N. Kokare, S.S. Kolekar, Facile synthesis of CuO nanosheets as electrode for supercapacitor with long cyclic stability in novel methyl imidazole-based. J. Solid State Electrochem. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-016-3490-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.B. Yin, S. Zhang, Y. Jiao, Y. Liu, F. Qu, X. Wu, Facile synthesis of ultralong MnO2 nanowires as high performance supercapacitor electrodes and photocatalysts with enhanced photocatalytic activities. CrystEngComm 16, 9999–10005 (2014).Google Scholar
- 15.G.J. Navathe, D.S. Patil, P.R. Jadhav, D.V. Awale, A.M. Teli, S.C. Bhise, S.S. Kolekar, M.M. Karanjkar, J.H. Kim, P.S. Patil, Rapid synthesis of nanostructured copper oxide for electrochemical supercapacitor based on novel [HPMIM][Cl] ionic liquid. J. Electroanal. Chem. 738, 170–175 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Y.X. Zhang, M. Huang, F. Li, Z.Q. Wen, Controlled synthesis of hierarchical CuO nanostructures for electrochemical capacitor electrodes. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 8, 8645–8661 (2013)Google Scholar
- 24.K. Kannaki, P.S. Ramesh, D. Geetha, Hydrothermal synthesis of CuO nanostructure and their characterizations. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res. 3, 1–4 (2012)Google Scholar
- 26.K.S.W. Sing, D.H. Everett, R.A.W. Haul, L. Moscou, R.S. Pierotti, J. Rouquerol, T. Siemieniewska, international union of pure commission on colloid and surface chemistry including catalysis-Reporting physisorption data for gas/solid systems with special reference to the determination of surface area and porosity. Pure Appl. Chem. 57, 603–619 (1985)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.R. Slama, J. Ghoul, I. El Ghiloufi, K. Omri, L. El Mir, Synthesis and physico-chemical studies of vanadiumdoped zinc oxide nanoparticles and its photocatalysis. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27, 8146–8153 (2016)Google Scholar
- 33.R. Slama, J. EL Ghoul, K. Omri, A. Houas, L. El Mir, F. Launay, Effect of Ca-doping on microstructure and photocatalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles synthesized by sol gel method. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27, 7939–7946 (2016)Google Scholar