Use of HbA1c in Screening for Cuban-Americans with Undiagnosed Type 2 Diabetes
- 132 Downloads
This study evaluated the use of HbA1c as a screening tool for undiagnosed type 2 diabetes (fasting plasma glucose ≥7.0 mmol/l) in a sample of Cuban-Americans aged ≥ 30 years old. Subjects were randomly recruited from Miami-Dade and Broward counties, FL. Fasting plasma glucose was measured by hexokinase enzymatic method. HbA1c was measured by the DCA2000 + system using the monoclonal antibody method. HbA1c demonstrated a high predictive value in detecting undiagnosed diabetes. The area under the receiver operating characteristics (ROC) curve was 0.87. Also, HbA1c had high sensitivity and specificity when using a cut off value of 6.37 (71 and 86%, respectively). Moderate sensitivity and very high specificity were shown with a cut off value of 6.84 (57 and 96%, respectively). HbA1c is a reliable alternative to fasting plasma glucose in screening for undiagnosed diabetes in Cuban-Americans.
KeywordsHbA1c Screening Cuban-Americans Diabetes
This research was funded by a grant from NIH/MBRS/SCORE-AC#124401529/42.
- 1.World Health Organization. Diabetes Mellitus: Report of a WHO Study Group Geneva. Tech Rep Ser No. 727;1985.Google Scholar
- 2.Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(1):S5–S20.Google Scholar
- 13.Droumaguet C, Balkau B, Simon D, Caces E, Tichet J, Charles MA. Eschwege E: the DESIR study group. Use of HbA1c in predicting progression to diabetes in French men and women: data from an epidemiological study on the insulin resistance syndrome (DESIR). Diabetes Care. 2006;29:1619–25.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.US Census Bureau. Current Population Survey, March 2002, PGP-5. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau, March 2002.Google Scholar
- 20.Huffman FG, Knight-Sepulveda K, Mclean M, Zarini GG. Increased adiponectin among Cuban American type 2 diabetics with metabolic syndrome. FASEB J. 2009;23:547.8.Google Scholar
- 23.American Diabetesc Association. Report of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care. 1997;20:1183–97.Google Scholar
- 28.PEW Hispanic Center. Fact Sheet: Cubans in the United States. August 25, 2006. 1615 L Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20036-5610. Available online: http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/23.pdf.