An Audiotaped Mental Health Evaluation Tool for Hispanic Immigrants With a Range of Literacy Levels
- 91 Downloads
Debilitating mental illness is treatable if found. There is no validated self-administered mental illness evaluation tool for immigrant Hispanic farm workers with variable literacy levels. This study tested sensitivity and specificity of an audiotaped survey developed for low literacy levels compared with standard interview instruments. Subjects from 11 migrant camps completed a self-administered audiotaped survey in Spanish to diagnose major depression, substance abuse, panic and generalized anxiety, and domestic violence. Primary care clinics assisted in finding camps and provided follow-up treatment. For 154 men and 156 women, the audio tool was most sensitive for major depression and specific for anxiety disorder, alcohol abuse, and domestic violence. Seventy percent of those diagnosed with major depression received appropriate treatment. This study validated an inexpensive, self-administered audio tool to evaluate the mental health of immigrant Hispanic farm workers with a wide range of literacy levels.
KEY WORDSmental health tool audiotape Hispanic farm workers migrant farm workers depression anxiety domestic violence low literacy levels
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- .Ormel J, VonKorff M, Ustun B, Pini S, Korten A, Oldehinkel T: Common mental disorders and disability across cultures. JAMA 1994; 272:1741–1748Google Scholar
- .Nordstrom DL, Zwerling C, Stromquist AM, Burnmeister LF, Merchant JA: Epidemiology of unintentional adult injury in a rural population. J Trauma 2001; 51:758-766Google Scholar
- .Schoenbaum M, UnUtzer J, Sherbourne C, Duan N, Rubenstein LV, Miranda J, Meredith LS, Carney MF, Wells K: Cost-effectiveness of practice-initiated quality improvement for depression. JAMA 2001; 286:1325–1330Google Scholar
- .Tengs TO, Adams ME, Pliskin JS, Gelb Safran D, Siegel JE, Weinstein MC, Graham JD: Five-hundred life-saving interventions and their cost-effectiveness. Risk Anal 1995; 15:369–390Google Scholar
- .Zahm SH, Colt JS, Engel LS, Keifer MC, Alvarado AJ, Burau K, Butterfield P, Caldera S, Cooper SP, Garcia D, Hanis C, Hendrikson E, HeyerN, Hunt LM, Krauska M, MacNaughton N, McDonnell CJ, Mills PK, Mull LD, Nordstrom DL, Outterson B, Slesinger DP, Smith MA, Stallones L, Stephens C, Sweeney A, Sweitzer K, Vernon SW, Blair A: Development of a life events/icon calendar questionnaire to ascertain occupational histories and other characteristics of migrant farmworkers. Am J Ind Med 2001; 40:490-501Google Scholar
- .Spitzer R, Williams J, Kroenke K: Cuestionario sobre la salud del paciente. TX221Y996 copyright 1999 Pfizer Inc. Available for research purposes Dr. Spitzer at firstname.lastname@example.orgGoogle Scholar