Toward building a 3D Web-based spatial decision framework for apartment selection
- 33 Downloads
In the last few decades, there has been a growing interest in effectively incorporating the analytic modeling capabilities of decision support systems and the spatial modeling capabilities of geospatial information systems to solve complex spatial decision-making problems in various fields. Spatial decision support systems assist decision makers in exploring, structuring, and generating solutions for complicated spatial decision problems such as apartment selection. The selection of an apartment is a decision which plays an important role in human life. The good location is the critical factor that affects the value and potential of a real estate. This emphasizes the significance of spatial factors in decision making in real estate business. The spatial accessibility value of each apartment to different service categories can be used while choosing the most suitable apartment. Hence, the study covers not only non-spatial aspects, for example, unit price, house size, and number of rooms, but also spatial aspects, such as spatial accessibility, of the apartment selection. To sum up, this study proposes a spatial decision framework, called EMEKLI, to facilitate the decision-making process for the selection of an apartment in the presence of different priorities and uncertainties among the decision criteria. Furthermore, the recommendations obtained from the decision-making process are shared with the decision makers in the 3D environment through a virtual globe.
KeywordsGeospatial information system Web-based spatial decision support system Multicriteria decision analysis Analytic hierarchy process Spatial accessibility Three-dimensional Web mapping Real estate industry
- Densham, P. J. (1991). Spatial decision support systems. In D. J. Maguire, M. S. Goodchild, & D. W. Rhind (Eds.), Geographical information systems: Principles and applications (pp. 403–412). London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Evans, S., & Hudson-Smith, A. (2001). Information rich 3D computer modeling of urban environments. CASA Working Papers (35). CASA, University College London (UCL) Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, University College London.Google Scholar
- Guney, C. (2016). Rethinking GIS towards the vision of smart cities through CityGML. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing & Spatial Information Sciences, XLII-2/W1, 121–129. Retrieved August 14, 2018, from https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-xlii-2-w1-121-2016.
- Guney, C., Akdag, S.G., Çagdas, G. & Yavuz, S. (2012). Tailoring a geomodel for analyzing an urban skyline. Landscape and Urban Planning. ISSN: 0169-2046.Google Scholar
- Hsu, C. Y., Goh, J., & Chang, P. C. (2012). Development of decision support system for house evaluation and purchasing. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Computer and Information Engineering, 6(5). Retrieved July 22, 2018, from https://waset.org/publications/12468/development-of-decision-support-system-for-house-evaluation-and-purchasing.
- Malczewski, J. (1999). GIS and multicriteria decision analysis. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Mollaghasemi, M., & Pet-Edwards, J. (1997). Making multi-objective decisions. California: IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T. L. (1980). The analytical hierarchy process. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Sugumaran, V., & Sugumaran, R. (2007). Web-based spatial decision support systems (WebSDSS): Evolution, architecture, examples and challenges. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 5, 40.Google Scholar
- URL 1: Bigpixel website. (n.d.). Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://www.bigpixel.cn.
- URL 2: Cesium website. (n.d.). Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://cesiumjs.org/.
- URL 3: Github website. (n.d.). Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium.
- URL 4: 3D Tiles Specification, Github website. (n.d.). Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/3d-tiles/tree/master/specification#tileset-json.
- URL 5: 3D Tiles, Cesium website. (n.d.). Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://cesium.com/blog/2015/08/10/introducing-3d-tiles.
- URL 6: Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) website. (n.d.). Retrieved February 5, 2019, from https://www.opengeospatial.org/pressroom/pressreleases/2946.
- URL 7: Building Smart website. (n.d). Retrieved March 21, 2019, from http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/specifications/ifc-overview.
- Zhang, Z., Liu, Y., Li, J., & Chen, B. (2009). Application of GIS and spatial decision support system for affordable housing. In 4th international conference on computer science & education (pp. 1110–1115). Nanning.Google Scholar