Optimal Ordering Policy for Deteriorating Items with Partial Backlogging under Permissible Delay in Payments
- 188 Downloads
In 1985, Goyal developed an Economic order quantity (EOQ) model under conditions of permissible delay in payments. Jamal et al. then generalized Goyal’s model for deteriorating items with completely backlogging. However, they only ran several simulations to indicate that the total relevant cost may be convex. Recently, Teng amended Goyal’s model by considering the difference between unit price and unit cost, and provided an alternative conclusion that it makes economic sense for some retailers to order less quantity and take the benefits of the permissible delay more frequently. However, he did not consider deteriorating items and partial backlogging. In this paper, we establish a general EOQ model for deteriorating items when the supplier offers a permissible delay in payments. For generality, our model allows not only the partial backlogging rate to be related to the waiting time but also the unit selling price to be larger than the unit purchase cost. Consequently, the proposed model includes numerous previous models as special cases. In addition, we mathematically prove that the total relevant cost is strictly pseudo-convex so that the optimal solution exists and is unique. Finally, our computational results reveal six managerial phenomena.
Keywordsdeteriorating items finance inventory partial backlogging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abad, P.L. 1996Optimal pricing and lot sizing under conditions of perishability and partial backorderingManagement Science4210931104Google Scholar
- 2.Aggarwal, S.P., Jaggi, C.K. 1995Ordering policies of deteriorating items under permissible delay in paymentsJournal of the Operational Research Society46658662Google Scholar
- 3.Bazarra, M., Sherali, H., Shetty, C.M. 1993Nonlinear Programming2WileyNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Brigham, E.F. 1995Fundamentals of Financial ManagementThe Dryden PressFloridaGoogle Scholar
- 6.Chang, C.T. and Teng, J.T. (2004), Retailer’s optimal ordering policy under supplier credits, to appear in Mathematical Methods of Operations Research.Google Scholar
- 7.Chang, H.J., Dye, C.Y. 1999An EOQ model for deteriorating items with time varying demand and partial backloggingJournal of the Operational Research Society5011761182Google Scholar
- 8.Chang, H.J., Dye, C.Y. 2001An inventory model for deteriorating items with partial backlogging and permissible delay in paymentsInternational Journal of Systems Science32345352Google Scholar
- 9.Dave, U. 1985On “economic order quantity under conditions of permissible delay in payments”Journal of the Operational Research Society361069Google Scholar
- 10.Goyal, S.K. 1985Economic order quantity under conditions of permissible delay in paymentsJournal of the Operational Research Society36335338Google Scholar
- 15.Sharker, B. R., Jamal, A.M.M., Wang, S. 2000Optimal payment time under permissible delay for products with deteriorationProduction Planning & Control11380390Google Scholar