Introduction to the “Technology in Practice” Special Issue
In addition to the authors who submitted manuscripts and the reviewers who ultimately made the final articles stronger, we thank Bonnie LeRoy (Editor-in-Chief) and Patricia McCarthy Veach (Assistant Editor) for their amazing, gracious, and always timely support. As a testament to their interest in this subject, both editors for this special issue were involved in projects that resulted in manuscripts submitted to this special edition. Bonnie LeRoy served as Action Editor on the manuscript review process and publication decision for those manuscripts.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Vickie L. Venne declares that she has no conflicts of interest. Megan Doerr was a co-inventor of the MyFamily (now called MyLegacy) intellectual property portfolio. The IP is licensed to Family Care Path, Inc. As part of this license, she is entitled to a share in both royalties and returns on equity.
- Akre C., Polvinen J., Ulrich N.J., Rich M. (2018). Children’s at Home: Pilot Study Assessing Dedicated Social Media for Parents of Adolescents with Neurofibromatosis Type 1. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-018-0213-0.
- Boothe, E., Kaplan, J. (2018). Using telemedicine in Mississippi to improve patient access to genetic services. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Boudreault, P., Wolfson, A., Berman, B., Venne, V. L., Sinsheimer, J. S, Palmer, C. (2018). Bilingual cancer genetic education modules for the deaf community: development and evaluation of the online video material. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0188-2.
- Cohen, Scherr, C. L., Nixon, D. M. (2018). An iPhone application intervention to promote surveillance among women with a BRCA mutation: pre-intervention data. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-018-0224-x.
- Fan, C. W., Castonguay, L., Rummell, S., Lévesque, S., Mitchell, J. J., Sillon, G. (2018). Online Module for Carrier Screening in Ashkenazi Jewish Individuals Compared with In-Person Genetics Education: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0133-4.
- Fenton, G. L., Smit, A. K., Freeman, L., Badcock, C., Dunlop, K., Butow, P. N., Kirk, J., Cust, A. E. (2018). Development and evaluation of a telephone communication protocol for the delivery of personalized melanoma genomic risk to the general population. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Korngiebel, D. M., West, K. M., Burke, W. (2018). Clinician-stakeholders’ perspectives on using patient portals to return lynch syndrome screening results. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- McCarty, A. J., Miller, J. M., Fecteau, H., Pennington, J. W., Kessler, L. 2018. Utilization of the tablet application Proband in pedigree construction and assessment. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0197-1.
- Moore, R. A., Matthews, A. L., Cohen, L. 2018. How might the genetics profession better utilize social media. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-018-0215-y.
- Moultrie, R. R., Lewis, M. A., Paquin, R. S., Lucas, A., Jarecki, J., Peay, H. L. (2018). An evidence-based, community engaged approach to develop an interactive deliberation tool for pediatric neuromuscular trials. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0190-8.
- Omaggio, N. F., Baker, M. J., Conway. L. J. (2018). Have you ever googled a patient? Social media intersects the practice of genetic counseling. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0206-4.
- Rocha, H. M., Savatt, J. M., Riggs, E. R., Wagner, J. K., Faucett, W. A., Martin, C. L. (2018). Incorporating Social Media into your Support Tool Box: Points to Consider from Genetics-Based Communities. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0170-z.
- Scherr, C., Feuston, J., Nixon, D. N., Cohen, S. A. (2018). A two phase approach to developing SNAP: an iPhone application to support appointment scheduling and management for women with a BRCA mutation. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-018-0222-z.
- Tipsword, M. L., White, P. S., Spaeth, C. G., Ittenbach, R. F., Myers, M. F. (2018). Investigation of the Use of a family health history application in genetic counseling. Journal of Genetic Counseling. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10897-017-0196-2.
- Verbrugge, J.L., Rumbaugh, M., Cook, L., Schulze, J., Heathers, L., Arnedo, V., Kuhl, M. M., Foroud, T. (2018). The promise and pitfalls of Facebook advertising: a genetic counselor’s perspective. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Voils, C. I., Venne, V. L., Weidenbacher, H., Sperber, N., Datta, S. (2018). Comparison of telephone and televideo modes for delivery of genetic counseling: a randomized trial. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Weissman, S. M., Zellmer, K., Gill, N., Wham, D. (2018). Implementing a virtual health telemedicine program in a community setting. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Welch, B.M., Wiley, K., Pflieger, L., Achiangia, R., Baker, K., Hughes-Halbert, C., Morrison, H. Schiffman, J., Doerr, M. (2018). Review and comparison of electronic patient-facing family health history tools. Journal of Genetic Counseling. Unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- Williams, J. L., Rahm, A. K., Zallen, D. T., Stuckey, H., Fultz, K., Fan, A. L., Bonhag, M., Feldman, L., Segal, M. M., Williams, M. S. (2018). Impact of a patient-facing genomic results report to improve understanding, engagement, and communication. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar
- Zierhut, H. A., MacFarlane, I. M., Ahmed, Z., Davies, J. (2018). Genetic counselors’ experiences and interest in telegenetics and remote Counseling. Journal of Genetic Counseling.Google Scholar