The Role of Adverse Childhood Experiences and Corporal Punishment in Early Adulthood Depression and Substance Use among Ukrainian College Students
Violence against children is a worldwide problem, and a large body of research demonstrates both short-term and long-term negative outcomes. The present study employs structural equation modeling to examine the pathways from parents’ use of corporal punishment and childhood adverse experiences to depression and substance use in adulthood. Cross-sectional data were collected from a sample of 944 students (Mage = 19.16, 69% females) attending ten public universities in 27 Ukrainian regions. The model provided a good fit for the data: χ2 (59, N = 944) = 189.49, p < 0.001, CFI = 0.96, TLI = 0.95, RMSEA = 0.048. Higher scores on adverse childhood experiences (ACE) maltreatment items (psychological, physical and sexual abuse during childhood; b = .26, p < .001) were associated with higher depression during adulthood. Higher depression scores were linked with higher multiple substance use (b = .17, p < .001). Childhood adverse experiences had significant standardized indirect effect, mediated by depression, on adulthood involvement in substance use (b = 0.043, p < 0.01). Findings from this research suggest that young adults in Ukraine who remember being maltreated as children have a higher risk to develop depression and engage in substance use as adults.
KeywordsUkraine Depression Substance use Child maltreatment Corporal punishment Structural equation modeling
- Acock, A. C. (2013). Discovering structural equation modeling using Stata (Rev. ed.). College Station: Stata Press.Google Scholar
- Afifi, T. O., Henriksen, C. A., Asmundson, G. J. G., & Sareen, J. (2012). Childhood maltreatment and substance use disorders among men and women in a nationally representative sample. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(11), 677–686. https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371205701105.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Balakireva, O., Bondar, T., Rynhach, N., Andreeva, T., Sydyak, S., Hryshchenko, A., & Antonova, A. (2008). Rates and prevalence of smoking, alcohol and drug use among students in Ukraine. Kyiv: Ukrainian Yaremenko Institute of Social Research.Google Scholar
- Balakireva, O., Pavlova, D. M., Nguen, N.-M. K., Levtsun, O. H., Pivovarova, N. P., Sakovych, O. T., & Fliarkovska, O. V. (2019). Smoking, alcohol and drug use among school adolescents: Prevalence and trends in Ukraine. Kyiv: Obnova kompani.Google Scholar
- Bernet, C. Z., & Stein, M. B. (1999). Relationship of childhood maltreatment to the onset and course of major depression in adulthood. Depression and Anxiety, 9(4), 169–174. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6394(1999)9:4<169::AID-DA4>3.0.CO;2-2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bromet, E. J., Gluzman, S. F., Paniotto, V. I., Webb, C. P. M., Tintle, N. L., Zakhozha, V., et al. (2005). Epidemiology of psychiatric and alcohol disorders in Ukraine. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 40(9), 681–690. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0927-9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Burlaka, V. (2007). Preventing and counteracting child abuse. Kyiv: Herb.Google Scholar
- Burlaka, V., Semyghina, T., Gryga, I. M., Shevchuk, O., Shevchuk, S., Andriyiv, V., et al. (2001). In V. Burlaka & T. Semyghina (Eds.), Introduction to social work. Kyiv: Phoenix.Google Scholar
- Burlaka, V., Serdiuk, O., Nickelsen, T., Tkach, B., & Khvorova, H. (2018). Family life education in Ukraine. In M. Robila & A. C. Taylor (Eds.), Global perspectives on family life education. New York: Springer International Publishing AG.Google Scholar
- Chapman, D. P., Whitfield, C. L., Felitti, V. J., Dube, S. R., Edwards, V. J., & Anda, R. F. (2004). Adverse childhood experiences and the risk of depressive disorders in adulthood. Journal of Affective Disorders, 82(2), 217–225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2003.12.013.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Degenhardt, L., Chiu, W. T., Conway, K., Dierker, L., Glantz, M., Kalaydjian, A., et al. (2009). Does the ‘gateway’ matter? Associations between the order of drug use initiation and the development of drug dependence in the National Comorbidity Study Replication. Psychological Medicine, 39(1), 157–167. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291708003425.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Douglas, K. R., Chan, G., Gelernter, J., Arias, A. J., Anton, R. F., Weiss, R. D., et al. (2010). Adverse childhood events as risk factors for substance dependence: Partial mediation by mood and anxiety disorders. Addictive Behaviors, 35(1), 7–13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2009.07.004.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dube, S. R., Felitti, V. J., Dong, M., Chapman, D. P., Giles, W. H., & Anda, R. F. (2003). Childhood abuse, neglect, and household dysfunction and the risk of illicit drug use: The adverse childhood experiences study. Pediatrics, 111(3), 564–572. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.111.3.564.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Eisenberg, N., Cumberland, A., Spinrad, T. L., Fabes, R. A., Shepard, S. A., Reiser, M., et al. (2001). The relations of regulation and emotionality to children’s externalizing and internalizing problem behavior. Child Development, 72(4), 1112–1134. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00337.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Felitti, V. J., Anda, R. F., Nordenberg, D., Williamson, D. F., Spitz, A. M., Edwards, V., et al. (1998). Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 14(4), 245–258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2019.04.001.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Forster, M., Grigsby, T. J., Rogers, C. J., & Benjamin, S. M. (2018). The relationship between family-based adverse childhood experiences and substance use behaviors among a diverse sample of college students. Addictive Behaviors, 76, 298–304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.08.037.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Frick, P. J. (1991). The Alabama parenting questionnaire. Unpublished rating scale, University of Alabama.Google Scholar
- Herrenkohl, T. I., Hong, S., Klika, J. B., Herrenkohl, R. C., & Russo, M. J. (2013). Developmental impacts of child abuse and neglect related to adult mental health, substance use, and physical health. Journal of Family Violence, 28(2), 191–199. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-012-9474-9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Humeniuk, R., Ali, R., & WHO ASSIST Phase II Study Group. (2006). Validation of the alcohol, smoking and substance involvement screening test (ASSIST) and pilot brief intervention: A technical report of phase II findings of the WHO ASSIST project. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar
- IDMC. (2018). Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre: Country information: Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.internal-displacement.org/countries/ukraine.
- Kline, R. B. (2011). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (3rd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Kline, R. B. (2016). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (4th ed.). New York: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Lau, J. T. F., Kim, J. H., Tsui, H.-Y., Cheung, A., Lau, M., & Yu, A. (2005). The relationship between physical maltreatment and substance use among adolescents: A survey of 95,788 adolescents in Hong Kong. Journal of Adolescent Health, 37(2), 110–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2004.08.005.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Newbury, J. B., Arseneault, L., Moffitt, T. E., Caspi, A., Danese, A., Baldwin, J. R., & Fisher, H. L. (2018). Measuring childhood maltreatment to predict early-adult psychopathology: Comparison of prospective informant-reports and retrospective self-reports. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 96, 57–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2017.09.020.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Petrov, V. (2017, July 21). Poroshenko: 11,000 Ukrainians killed since beginning of war in Donbas. Retrieved from https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/poroshenko-11000-ukrainians-killed-since-beginning-war-donbas.html.
- Sreeramareddy, C. T., Hon, J., Abdulla, A. M., & Harper, S. (2018). Hardcore smoking among daily smokers in male and female adults in 27 countries: A secondary data analysis of global adult tobacco surveys (2008-2014). Journal of Global Health Reports, 2. https://doi.org/10.29392/joghr.2.e2018019.
- StataCorp. (2015). Stata statistical software: Release Stata/MP 14.2. College Station: StataCorp LP.Google Scholar
- UkrStat. (2018). State Statistics Committee of Ukraine: The structure of family resources in 2017. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2007/gdvdg_rik/dvdg_u/str_res2010_u.htm.
- UNIAN. (2013). The divorce rate reaches 61% in Ukraine. Retrieved from https://www.unian.ua/society/799801-v-ukrajini-vidsotok-rozluchen-syagnuv-61.html.
- Verkhovna Rada. (2018). The Law of Ukraine on prevention and counteraction of domestic violence. Pub. L. No. 2229– VIII.Google Scholar
- Webb, C. P., Bromet, E. J., Gluzman, S., Tintle, N. L., Schwartz, J. E., Kostyuchenko, S., & Havenaar, J. M. (2005). Epidemiology of heavy alcohol use in Ukraine: Findings from the world mental health survey. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 40(4), 327–335. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agh152.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wiehn, J., Hornberg, C., & Fischer, F. (2018). How adverse childhood experiences relate to single and multiple health risk behaviours in German public university students: A cross-sectional analysis. BMC Public Health, 18(1), 1005. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5926-3.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wills, A., & Kalashnik, O. (2018). Counteracting domestic violence: Manual for police officers. Kyiv: National Police of Ukraine.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2014). Global status report on alcohol and health – 2014 ed. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/en/.