Synthesis and Crystallographic, Absorption and Emission Studies of 4-Pyridine Carboxamide of Zn(II) 4-Chlorophenylacetate
- 124 Downloads
A new zinc(II) complex, [Zn(CB)2(INA)2] (where CB is 4-chlorophenylacetate and INA is 4-pyridine carboxamide) was synthesized. The structure of the complex was characterized by elemental analysis, FT-IR spectroscopy and single-crystal X-ray diffraction technique. Besides, the thermal stability of the complex was investigated by TGA/DTA analysis method. Moreover, the optical absorption and the emission features of the complex were examined by using UV-Vis and fluorescence spectrophotometers, respectively. Furthermore, Density Functional Theory (DFT) calculations were carried out to support the experimental results. Accordingly, it was determined that the complex crystallized in a monoclinic system with space group Pc, a = 8.3329 (2) Å, b = 25.6530 (4) Å, c = 13.5048 (3) Å, α = 90°, β = 91.703 (3)° and γ = 90°. The complex consists two crystallographically independent molecules. In each molecule, the ZnII ion adopts a distorted trigonal pyramidal coordination formed by two O atoms from the two 4 chlorophenylacetate ligand and two N atoms of the two 4-pyridine carboxamide ligands. It was observed that the linear absorption spectra of the complex were similar to linear absorption spectra of the semiconductors. In addition, two emission peaks were observed in the fluorescence spectra which could be due to the formation of excimer and the interactions of the benzene and pyridine rings. The energy gap (ΔEgap = ELUMO - EHOMO) of the complex has been calculated as 3.712 eV and this value is very close to the experimentally measured value (3.86 eV). Therefore, because of higher fluorescence intensity of emission peak that was observed between 309 and 556 nm wavelength besides other traits, the complex could potentially be used in the blue light OLED application by filtering of the emission peak around 710 nm wavelength.
KeywordsZn complex 4-Chlorophenylacetic acid Optical absorption Fluorescence DFT
Crystallographic data for the structures 1 reported in this paper has been deposited with the Cambridge Crystallographic Data Center as supplementary publication No. CCDC-, 1905662. This work was supported by the Kafkas University Research Fund [Grant Number: 2015-FM-22].
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Hazari D, Jana SK, Puschmann H, Zangrando E, Dalai S (2015) Three new co-ordination polymers of zinc(II) and cadmium(II) with Dicarboxylate and Bipyridine ligands: synthesis, structure and luminescence study. J Inorg Organomet Polym Mater 25:1151–1159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10904-015-0223-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lu F, Harms K (2017) Electrochemistry of dinuclear organometallic Trovacenyl derivatives bridged by group 14 elements (Si, Ge, Sn, Pb): electrochemistry of Dinuclear organometallic Trovacenyl derivatives bridged by group 14 elements (Si, Ge, Sn, Pb). Eur J Inorg Chem 2017:82–87. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejic.201601045 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Cardoso JMS, Correia I, Galvão AM, Marques F, Carvalho MFNN (2017) Synthesis of ag(I) camphor sulphonylimine complexes and assessment of their cytotoxic properties against cisplatin -resistant A2780cisR and A2780 cell lines. J Inorg Biochem 166:55–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2016.11.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yang L-Z, Wang J, Kirillov AM, Dou W, Xu C, Fang R, Xu CL, Liu WS (2016) 2D lanthanide MOFs driven by a rigid 3,5-bis(3-carboxy-phenyl)pyridine building block: solvothermal syntheses, structural features, and photoluminescence and sensing properties. CrystEngComm 18:6425–6436. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6CE00885B CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Iqbal M, Ali S, Tahir MN, Shah NA (2017) Dihydroxo-bridged dimeric cu(II) system containing sandwiched non-coordinating phenylacetate anion: crystal structure, spectroscopic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and DNA-binding studies of [(phen)(H 2 O)cu(OH) 2 cu(H 2 O)(phen)]2L.6H 2 O: (HL = phenylacetic acid; phen = 1,10-phenanthroline). J Mol Struct 1143:23–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2017.04.084 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wen L, Yin H, Li W, Wang D (2010) New organoantimony complexes with the isomers of chlorophenylacetic acid: syntheses, characterizations and crystal structures of 1D polymeric chain, 2D network structure and 3D framework. Inorganica Chim Acta 363:676–684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ica.2009.11.022 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sheng G-H, Cheng X-S, You Z-L, Zhu H-L (2015) Syntheses, crystal structures, and characterization of copper(II) and zinc(II) complexes derived from N,N-Dimethylethane-1,2-diamine and Phenylacetic acid derivatives. Synth React Inorg Met-Org Nano-Met Chem 45:1273–1277. https://doi.org/10.1080/15533174.2013.862697 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Homzová K, Györyová K, Koman M, Melník M, Juhászová Ž (2015) Synthesis, crystal structure, and spectroscopic and thermal properties of the polymeric compound catena -poly[[bis(2,4-dichlorobenzoato)zinc(II)]-μ-isonicotinamide]. Acta Crystallogr Sect C Struct Chem 71:814–819. https://doi.org/10.1107/S2053229615014862 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Özbek FE, Yüksek M, Necefoğlu H (2016) Synthesis, spectroscopic and fluorescence properties of N , N ′-diethylnicotinamide adducts of 2-bromobenzoate co(II) and Ni(II) metal-organic complexes. Opt - Int J Light Electron Opt 127:7710–7716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2016.05.138 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Hehre WJ (1986) Ab initio molecular orbital theory. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 39.Frisch M, Trucks G, Schlegel H, et al (2009) Gaussian 09, Revision B.01. Gaussian 09 Revis B01 Gaussian Inc Wallingford CTGoogle Scholar
- 40.Dennington R, Keith T, Millam J (2009) GaussView, Version 5.0.8. Semichem Inc., Shawnee Mission KS http://www.oalib.com/references/12626365. Accessed 15 Mar 2019
- 42.Pavia DL, Lampman GM, Kriz GS (2001) Introduction to spectroscopy: a guide for students of organic chemistry, 3rd edn. Brooks/Cole, South MelbourneGoogle Scholar
- 44.Kaya AA, Demircioğlu Z, Kaya EÇ, Büyükgüngör O (2014) Synthesis, X-ray structural characterization, NLO, MEP, NBO and HOMO-LUMO analysis using DFT study of Zn(II)bis(3,4 dimethoxybenzoate)bis(nicotinamide) dihydrate. Heterocycl Commun 20. https://doi.org/10.1515/hc-2013-0160
- 50.Zhao F, Ma X, Meng Y, Ge J, Jin H, Liu S, Zhan L, Zhu M, Gao E (2016) Synthesis, structure, DNA binding, and cleavage of a Zn(II) complex constructed by 4,4’-Bipyridine and Phenylacetic acid. Synth React Inorg Met-Org Nano-Met Chem 46:1041–1046. https://doi.org/10.1080/15533174.2015.1004415 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 53.Majumder A, Shit S, Choudhury CR, Batten SR, Pilet G, Luneau D, Daro N, Sutter JP, Chattopadhyay N, Mitra S (2005) Synthesis, structure and fluorescence of two novel manganese(II) and zinc(II)-1,3,5-benzene tricarboxylate coordination polymers: extended 3D supramolecular architectures stabilised by hydrogen bonding. Inorganica Chim Acta 358:3855–3864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ica.2005.07.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar