A Selective Turn off Fluorescence Sensor Based on Propranolol-SDS Assemblies for Fe3+ Detection
A fluorophore modulation with sodium dodecyl sulphate (SDS) assemblies for the selective and sensitive sensing of Fe3+ ions in aqueous solution is illustrated in this work. Emission spectral characteristics of fluorescent molecule, propranolol (PPH) was intact in presence of metal ions. While on modulation with SDS assemblies, PPH was transformed into a tuneable sensor for Fe3+ ions. This sensor ensemble was not only highly sensitive towards Fe3+ ions in aqueous solution with detection limits lower than 3 μM but also possess high discriminating efficiency in presence of other metal ions like Cu2+, Pb2+, Zn2+, Ni2+, Fe2+, Cd2+, Co2+, Al3+, Mg2+, Hg2+ and Mn2+. The electrostatic interaction of the anionic group of surfactants with the metal cations significantly increases the communication between metal ions and PPH moiety which results in the quenching of PPH fluorescence. We have employed fluorescence steady state and lifetime studies to understand the metal sensing behaviour of the PPH-SDS sensor system. Principal component analysis (PCA) was used to evaluate the discriminative ability of the developed sensor system towards Fe3+ ions.
KeywordsPropranolol SDS Fluorescence quenching Tuneable sensor Selective detection Fe3+ ions
This work is financially supported by BCUD, Savitribai Phule Pune University (15SCI002263). Gujar Varsha acknowledges the research fellowship from BARTI, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
- 4.Santos H, Pedras B, Tamayo A, Casabo J, Escribe L, Covelo B, Capelo J, Lodeiro C (2009) New chemosensors based on thiomacrocycle-containing coumarin-343 fluoroionophor: X-ray structures and previous results on the effect of cation binding on the photophysical properties. Inorg Chem Commun 12:1128–1134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inoche.2009.09.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jamkratoke M, Tumcharern G, Tuntulani T, Tomapatanaget B (2011) A selective spectrofluorometric determination of micromolar level of cyanide in water using naphthoquinone imidazole boronic-based sensors and a surfactant cationic CTAB micellar system. J Fluoresc 21:1179–1187. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10895-010-0796-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cao J, Ding L, Zhang Y, Wang S, Fang Y (2016) A ternary sensor system based on pyrene derivative-SDS assemblies-Cu2+ displaying dual responsive signals for fast detection of arginine and lysine in aqueous solution. J Photochem Photobiol A Chem 314:66–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2015.08.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Fernandez Y, Gramatges A, Amendola V, Foti F, Mangano C, Pallavicini P, Patroni S (2004) Using micelles for a new approach to fluorescent sensors for metal cations. Chem Commun:1650–1651. https://doi.org/10.1039/b404543b
- 28.Bisby RH, Botchway SW, Crisostomo AG, Karolin J, Parker AW, Schröder L (2010) Interactions of the β-blocker drug, propranolol, with detergents, β-cyclodextrin and living cells studied using fluorescence spectroscopy and imaging. Spectroscopy 24:137–142. https://doi.org/10.3233/SPE-2010-0415 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Lakowicz J (2006) Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy. 3rd edn. Springer, pp 17–20 https://www.springer.com/in/book/9780387312781