Synthesis, Photoluminescence Behavior of Green Light Emitting Tb(III) Complexes and Mechanistic Investigation of Energy Transfer Process
- 141 Downloads
A series of five new terbium(III) ion complexes with 4,4-difluoro-1-phenylbutane-1,3-dione (HDPBD) and anciliary ligands was synthesized. The composition and properties of complexes were analyzed by elemental analysis, IR, NMR, powder X-ray diffaraction, TG-DTG and photoluminescence spectroscopy. These complexes exhibited ligand sensitized green emission at 546 nm associated with 5D4 → 7F5 transitions of terbium ion in the emission spectra. The photoluminescence study manifested that the organic ligands act as antenna and facilitate the absorbed energy to emitting levels of Tb(III) ion efficiently. The enhanced luminescence intensity and decay time of ternary C2-C5 complexes observed due to synergistic effect of anciliary ligands. The CIE color coordinates of complexes came under the green region of chromaticity diagram. The mechanistic investigation of intramolecular energy transfer in the complexes was discussed in detail. These terbium(III) complexes can be thrivingly used as one of the green component in light emitting material and in display devices.
KeywordsPhotoluminescence IR Terbium(III) Synergistic effect Energy transfer
The present work has been supported by Council of Science and Industrial Research (CSIR) of India [09/382(0155)/2012- EMR-I (Manju Bala)].
- 3.Binnemans K, in: Gschneidner Jr. KA, Bünzil, J-CG, Pecharsky VK (Eds.) (2005) Handbook on the physics and chemistry of rare earths, Elsevier, Amsterdam 35:107Google Scholar
- 6.Brunet E, Juanes O, Rodriguez JC (2007) Supramolecularly Organized Lanthanide Complexes for Efficient Metal Excitation and Luminescence as Sensors in Organic and Biological Applications. Curr Chem Biol 1:11–39Google Scholar
- 13.Bassett AP, Magennis SW, Glover PB, Lewis DJ, Spencer N, Parsons S, Williams RM, Cola LD, Pikramenou Z (2004) Highly Luminescent, Triple- and Quadruple-Stranded, Dinuclear Eu, Nd and Sm(III) Lanthanide Complexes Based on Bis-Diketonate Ligands. J Am Chem Soc 126(30):9413–9424CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Sinha A, in: Rao C, Ferraro J Ed. (1971) Spectroscopy in Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 2, Academic Press, New York, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 24.Luo Y, Li S, Li J, Chen X, Tang R (2010) Synthesis, fluorescence properties of Tb(III) complexes with novel mono-substituted β-diketone ligands. J Rare Earths 28(5):671–675Google Scholar
- 30.Shi XY, Li WX, Qin CH, Guo L, Sun XJ, Sun XL, Geng GQ (2008) Synthesis and Characterization of Quaternary Complexes of Light Rare Earth Perchlorate with Diphenyl Sulfoxide,Benzoic Acid and Studies on Fluorescence of Eu3+ Complex. Chin J Lumin 29(5):772–778Google Scholar
- 31.Dexter DL (1953) A theory of sensitized luminescence in solids. Chem Phys 21(5):836–850Google Scholar