Complexation of Donor-Acceptor Substituted Aza-Crowns with Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metal Cations. Charge Transfer and Recoordination in Excited State
- 193 Downloads
Complexation between two aza-15-crown-5 ethers bearing electron donor and acceptor fragments and alkali and alkaline earth perchlorates has been studied using absorption, steady-state fluorescence and femtosecond transient absorption spectroscopy. The spectral-luminescent parameters, the stability and dissociation constants of the complexes were calculated. The intramolecular charge transfer reaction takes place both in the excited state of the crowns and their complexes 1:1; the latter is subjected to photorecoordination resulting in a weakening or a complete disruption of coordination bond between nitrogen atom and metal cation, disposed within a cavity of the crown. The compounds investigated can be viewed as novel optical molecular sensors for alkali and alkaline-earth metal cations. The photoejection of a metal cation into the bulk was not observed.
KeywordsAza-crown ether Complexation Dissociation Perchlorates Transient absorption Recoordination
Financial support from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Valeur B, Bourson J, Pouget J (1993) Ion recognition detected by changes in photoinduced charge or energy transfer, In: Czarnik AW (ed) Fluorescent chemosensors for ion and molecular recognition. ACS Symposium Series 538, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Druzhinin SI, Rusalov MV, Uzhinov BM, Alfimov MV, Gromov SP, Fedorova OA (1995) Excited state relaxation processes of crowned styryl dyes and their metal complexes. Proc Indian Acad Sci Chem Sci 107:721–727Google Scholar
- 5.Ushakov EN, Nadtochenko VA, Gromov SP, Vedernikov AI, Lobova NA, Alfimov MV, Gostev FE, Petrukhin AN, Sarkisov OM (2004) Ultrafast excited state dynamics of the bi- and termolecular stilbene-viologen charge-transfer complexes assembles via host-guest interactions. Chem Phys 298:251–261CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gromov SP, Dmitrieva SN, Vedernikov AI, Kurchatov NA, Kuz’mina LG, Sazonov SK, Strelenko YA, Alfimov MV, Howard JAK, Ushakov EN (2013) Synthesis, structure, and characterization of chromo(fluoro)ionophores with cation-triggered emission based on N-methylaza-crown-ether styryl dyes. J Org Chem 78:9834–9847CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gromov SP, Dmitrieva SN, Vedernikov AI, Kurchatov NA, Kuz’mina LG, Strelenko YA, Alfimov MV, Howard JAK (2009) N-Methylbenzoazacrown ethers with the nitrogen atom conjugated with the benzene ring: the improved synthesis and the reasons for the high stability of complexes with metal and ammonium cations. J Phys Org Chem 22:823–833CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Himmelblau DM (1972) Applied nonlinear programming. Mc-Grow-Hill, AustinGoogle Scholar
- 16.Solov'ev VP (2007) Thermodynamics of supramolecular complexes of crown-ethers and their macrocyclic and acyclic analogues. Dissertation, Lomonosov Moscow State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ahrland S, Liljenzin JO, Rydberg J (1973) Comprehensive inorganic chemistry. Pergamon, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 21.Sverdlova OV (1973) Electronic spectra in organic chemistry. Khimiya, St.-PeterburgGoogle Scholar