Early Detection of Plant Stress from Changes in Distributions of Chlorophyll a Fluorescence Parameters Measured with Fluorescence Imaging
- 167 Downloads
In this work, we used barley leaves suffering from a stress, for measurements of chlorophyll a fluorescence with an imaging fluorometer. We compared selected fluorescence parameters (FP) determined from the measurements of control (no stress) and afterwards stressed sample by classical statistical comparison (Mann–Whitney test) and by statistical comparison of shapes of distributions of the FPs (two-sample Smirnov test). We have found that there exist examples where statistically significant difference is not revealed using the classical statistical comparison (for given critical level), but statistically significant difference is revealed using comparisons of distributions (for the same critical level). It implies that the shape of statistical distribution of a FP is more sensitive to a stress of a sample than median of the FP. Further, the comparison of changes in shapes of statistical distributions of FPs is therefore more suitable for early detection of plant stress than a classical statistical comparison. The observed changes in the distributions of FPs are discussed.
KeywordsChlorophyll Fluorescence Imaging Photosynthesis Statistics Stress
This work was financially supported by Ministry of Education of Czech Republic by a grant number MSM 6198959215.
- 6.D. Lazár, J. Nauš, V. Hlaváčková, M. Špundová, and M. Mieslerová (2003). Statistical changes in chlorophyll fluorescence rise within adaxial leaf area caused by worsening of Photosystem II function. in V. Voinov (Ed.), Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Statistical Inferential Methods: Theory and Applications, KIMEP, Almaty, pp. 339–346.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Lazár, P. Sušila, and J. Nauš (2005). Statistical properties of parameters evaluated from the O-J-I-P chlorophyll a fluorescence transients and their changes upon high temperature stress. in A. van der Est and D. Bruce (Eds.), Photosynthesis: Fundamental Aspects to Global Perspectives (Proceedings of the 13th Congress on Photosynthesis; CD-ROM), Allen Press, Montreal, pp. 563–566.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Rosner (2000). Fundamentals of Biostatistics, 5th edn. Duxbury/Thomson Learning, Pacific Grove.Google Scholar
- 9.A. J. Hayter (2002). Probability and Statistics for Enginners and Scientists, 2nd edn. Duxbury/Thomson Learning, Pacific Grove.Google Scholar
- 13.A. R. Crofts, I. Baroli, D. Kramer, and S. Taoka (1993). Kinetics of electron-transfer between Qa and Qb in wild type and herbicide resistant mutants of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Z. Naturforsch. 48c, 259–266.Google Scholar