Theoretical Study of the Endogenous Production of N-13 in 115 kJ Plasma Focus Device Using Methane Gas
Mather type plasma focus device with the bank energy of 115 kJ (40 kV, 144μF) was studied for induced activity of N-13; a short-lived radioisotope β+ emitter with 511 keV of gamma rays and has a half-life of t1/2 = 9.93 min through 12C (d, n)13N nuclear reaction. N-13 radioisotope is used in Positron Emission Tomography (PET) for imaging and treatment. In this paper endogenous production of 13N is considered. It is shown by adding 3–4 % CH4 to the chamber, the induced activity of N-13 has increased about 4 %. Our study is representative of producing 106 − 109 Bq induced activity of this SLR in IR-MPF-100 device.
KeywordsDense plasma focus SLR N-13 production PET Endogenous production IR-MPF-100
- 6.A.A. Zaeem, Investigations of plasma compression dynamics in a Filippov plasma focus for the production of PET radioisotopes, M.Sc. Thesis(Khaje Nasir University, Tehran, Iran, 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.B. Shirani, F. Abasi, J. Fusion Energ. (2012). doi:10.1007/s10894-012-9558-9
- 12.A. Salehizadeh et al. J. Fusion Energ. (2012). doi: 10.1007/s10894-012-9567-8
- 17.http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/, National Nuclear data center (Brookhaven national laboratory)
- 18.M. Bellos, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Groningen, arXiv:nucl-ex/0503016vl, 20 March (2005)Google Scholar