Toroidal High-Density Singularity in a Small Plasma Focus
- 121 Downloads
A toroidal singularity in the current sheet of a Plasma Focus operated at tens of joules (PF-50J) leading to the formation of a high-density singularity on the plasma sheath was observed on interferographic images of discharges in 6 mbar of Deuterium gas. The phenomenon was numerically simulated by means of the 2D numerical code Cshock, which was able to reproduce the plasma kinetics and the evolution of the electrical variables, as well as the formation, movement and density of the plasmoid structure.
KeywordsPlasma focus z-pinch Small fusion devices
This work was supported by the grant P4 Project “Center for research and applications in plasma physics and pulsed power technology”, PBCT-CONICYT Chile ACT 26 grant, and by a Postdoctoral PBCT-CONICYT Chile PSD-01 grant; and the Argentine Atomic Energy Commission and CONICET. A. Tarifeño-Saldivia thanks to Universidad de Concepción, Chile, for the support during his Ph.D. thesis.
- 1.S. Lee, M. Eissa, A. Gholap, K. Kwek, S. Mulyodrono, S. Sapru, A. Smith, S. Suriadi, T. Tou, W. Usada, C. Wong, M. Zakaullah, Singapore J. Phys. 3, 75–82 (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.H. Bruzzone, J. Martinez, J. Tech. Phys. 40, 169–172 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Ostrovsky, M. Butusov, G. Ostrovskaya, Interferometry by Holography (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980)Google Scholar
- 11.S. Lee, in Radiations in Plasmas, ed. by B. McNamara (World Scientific, Singapore, 1984), pp. 978–87Google Scholar
- 14.J. González, M. Barbaglia, F. Casanova, A. Clausse, Brazil. J. Phys. 39, 633–637 (2009)Google Scholar