Pinch Current and Soft X-Ray Yield Limitations by Numerical Experiments on Nitrogen Plasma Focus
- 83 Downloads
The modified version of the Lee model code RADPF5-15a is used to run numerical experiments with nitrogen gas, for optimizing the nitrogen soft X-ray yield on PF-SY1. The static inductance L 0 of the capacitor bank is progressively reduced to assess the effect on pinch current I pinch. The experiments confirm the I pinch, limitation effect in plasma focus, where there is an optimum L 0 below which although the peak total current, I peak, continues to increase progressively with progressively reduced inductance L 0, the I pinch and consequently the soft X-ray yield, Ysxr, of that plasma focus would not increase, but instead decreases. For the PF-SY1 with capacitance of 25 μF, the optimum L 0 = 5 nH, at which I pinch = 254 kA, Ysxr = 5 J; reducing L 0 further increases neither I pinch nor nitrogen Ysxr. The obtained results indicate that reducing the present L 0 of the PF-SY1 device will increase the nitrogen soft X-ray yield.
KeywordsPlasma focus SY1 Pinch current limitation Soft X-ray Nitrogen gas Lee model RADPF5.15a
The authors would like to thank Director General of AECS, for encouragement and permanent support. One of authors (Dr. Mohamad Akel) would also like to express thanks to Mrs. Sheren Isamael, who collaborated with me going through with all the numerical experiments using Lee Model.
- 7.S. Lee, Radiative Dense Plasma Focus Computation Package: RADPF (2009), http://www.intimal.edu.my/school/fas/UFLF/. http://www.plasmafocus.net/IPFS/modelpackage/File1RADPF.htm
- 12.M. Akel, S. Al-Hawat, S. Lee, J. Fusion Energ. (2009). doi: 10.1007/s10894-009-9203-4, published online 19 May
- 13.S. Lee, in Radiations in Plasmas, ed. by B. McNamara (World Scientific, Singapore, 1984), pp. 978–987Google Scholar
- 19.J.B. Ali, Development and Studies of a small Plasma Focus. PhD thesis, University Technology Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1990Google Scholar
- 23.S. Bing, Plasma dynamics and X-ray emission of the plasma focus. PhD Thesis, NIE ICTP Open Access Archive: http://eprints.ictp.it/99/, 2000
- 24.S. Lee (2000–2009), http://ckplee.myplace.nie.edu.sg/plasmaphysics/
- 25.S. Lee (2005), ICTP Open Access Archive: http://eprints.ictp.it/85/13
- 26.S. Lee, Twelve Years of UNU/ICTP PFF—A Review IC, 98, (231) ICTP, Miramare, Trieste, (1998), ICTP OAA: http://eprints.ictp.it/31/