Experimental Investigation of the Suppression of Crown and Ground Forest Fires
- 2 Downloads
Results of experimental investigations on the suppression of the flame combustion and thermal decomposition of forest combustible materials by aerosol flows of a pure water and aqueous solutions are presented. The characteristics of some sprayers were determined and the densities of wetting of a fire hotbed, provided by them, were calculated. The times of extinguishing hotbeds of model crown and ground forest fi res were measured, and distributions of temperatures and heat flows in them were determined. It is shown that the efficiency of extinguishing a forest fire is mainly determined by the sizes of the aerosol droplets acting on it.
Keywordscrown and ground forest fires thermal decomposition fire suppression water droplets aerosol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. E. Houssami, E. Mueller, A. Filkov, J. C. Thomas, N. Skowronski, M. R. Gallagher, K. Clark, R. Kremens, and A. Simeoni, Experimental procedures characterising firebrand generation in wildland fires, Fire Technol., 52, No. 3, 731–751 (2016).Google Scholar
- 9.N. P. Kopylov, G. M. Grozdov, I. R. Khasanov, and S. V. Gorshkov, Theoretical and experimental research of parameters of the water discharged for fire extinguishment by means of an IL-76 aircraft, Proc. Second Int. Seminar on Fire-and-Explosion Hazard of Substances and Venting of Deflagrations, Moscow (1998), pp. 559–564.Google Scholar
- 10.E. A. Moskvilin, Use of aircraft for suppression of forest fires, Pozhar. Bezopasnost′, No. 1, 89–92 (2009). 1465Google Scholar
- 11.N. P. Kopylov, I. R. Khasanov, A. E. Kuznetsov, D. V. Fedotkin, E. A. Moskvilin, P. A. Strizhak, and V. N. Karpov, Parameters of the throw-down of water from aircraft in the extinguishing of forest fires, Pozhar. Bezopasnost′, No. 2, 49–55 (2015).Google Scholar
- 21.R. S. Volkov, G. V. Kuznetsov, and P. A. Strizhak, Experimental investigation of mixtures and foreign inclusions in water droplets influence on integral characteristics of their evaporation during motion through high-temperature gas area, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 88, 193–200 (2015).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.J. P. Mitchell and M. Tservistas, Laser diffractometry and cascade impaction for nebulizer product characterization, Pharmeuropa Sci. Notes, 2, 49–52 (2006).Google Scholar