Psychometric Properties and Cut-off Scores of the Beck Depression Inventory-II in Turkish Adolescents
- 876 Downloads
The current study examined the psychometric properties and cut-off scores of the Beck Depression Inventory II in Turkish adolescents. A total of 503 non-clinical and 166 clinical adolescents participated in the study. Test-retest (r = .89) and internal consistency (α = .90) reliabilities, convergent validity (r = .81) and discriminant validities (r = .39, r = .49 and r = .42) were satisfactory. Exploratory factor analyses yielded two factors. The cut-off score for mild depression in Turkish adolescents was lower than that reported previously for adults. The findings are discussed in relation to those of previous studies conducted in other countries.
KeywordsAdolescent Beck Depression Inventory-II Reliability Validity Cut-off scores
This research was supported by a grant from the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (Turkiye Bilimsel ve Teknik Araştırma Kurumu; TUBITAK) Project No. 105K150.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., & Brown, G. K. (1996). Beck Depression Inventory-second edition manual. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.Google Scholar
- Derogatis, L. R. (1992). The Brief Symptom Inventory–BSI administration, scoring and procedures manual-II. USA: Clinical Psychometric Research Inc.Google Scholar
- Dozois, D. J. A., & Covin, R. (2004). The Beck Depression Inventory – II, Beck Hopelessness Scale and Beck Scale for Suicide. In M. Hersen (Series Ed.), D. L. Segal and M. Hilsenroth (Vol. Eds.), Comprehensive handbook of psychological assessment: Vol 2. Personality assessment and psychopathology. (pp . 50–69). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Gleitman, H. (1986). Psychology (2nd ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Kapci, E. G., Uslu, R., Turkcapar, H. & Karaoglan, A. (2007). Beck Depression Inventory II: Evaluation of the psychometric properties and cut-off points in a Turkish adult population. Depression and Anxiety, Published online in Wiley InterScience. Retrieved September 20, 2007, from http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jissue/109075741.
- Oy, B. (1991). Çocuklar için depresyon ölçeği: geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. (Depression inventory for children: A validity and reliability study). Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi (Turkish Journal of Psychiatry), 2, 132–137.Google Scholar
- Rey, J. M., Morris-Yates, A., & Stanislaw, H. (1992). Measuring the accuracy of diagnostic tests using receiver operating characteristics (ROC) analysis. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 2, 1–11.Google Scholar
- Sahin, N. H., Durak-Batigun, A., & Ugurtas, S. (2002). Kisa Semptom Envanteri (KSE): Ergenler icin kullaniminin gecerlik, guvenilirlik ve faktor yapisi (Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI): Validity, reliability and factorial structure for use in adolescents). Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi (Turkish Journal of Psychiatry), 13, 125–135.Google Scholar
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2001). Using multivariate statistics. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.Google Scholar
- Tape, T. G. (2006). Interpreting diagnostic tests: The area under a ROC curve. Retrieved December 12, 2006, from web site: http://gim.unmc.edu/dxtests/default.htm.
- Turkish Statistical Institute (2006). Prime Ministry Republic of Turkey. News Bulletin, No: 208. retrieved January 9, 2007, from http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=409.
- Turkish Statistical Institute (2008). Prime Ministry Republic of Turkey. Retrieved April 2, 2008, from: http://www.tuik.gov.tr/VeriBilgi.do?tb_id=37&ust_id=11.
- Ulusoy, M., Sahin, N., & Erkmen, H. (1998). Turkish version of the Beck Anxiety Inventory: Psychometric properties. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 12, 163–172.Google Scholar
- Yavas, I., Unal, F., Pehlivanturk, B., Bakir, B., & Sonuvar, B. (1997). Investigation of the depressive symptoms in children and adolescents admitted to the outpatient unit of child and adolescent psychiatry. Turk Psikiyatri Dergisi (Turkish Journal of Psychiatry), 8, 78–83.Google Scholar