Changing Educational Needs of Psychologists: Do We Need More Medical Knowledge, Basic Science and More Psychological Science?
Psychologists of the 21st century must be highly skilled and versatile to function effectively in academic health centers (AHCs). Thus, the current paper focuses on the training psychologists receive to prepare them for their diverse roles in AHCs. The paper is framed around the question: Do we need more medical knowledge, basic science and more psychological science? posed to the author by the conference organizers of the 3rd National Association of Psychologists in Academic Health Centers (APAHC) Conference and is based on the perspective of the author.
KeywordsEducation Competencies Psychology
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. (2002). The outcome project: General competencies. (http://www.acgme.org/outcome/comp/compHome.asp, accessed January, 12, 2008).
- American Association of Medical Colleges. (2006). Table 25. In Report on Medical School Faculty Salaries. American Association of Medical Colleges (2005/2006) Data Services, Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- American Psychological Association. (2006b). Faculty salary survey. APA Research Office, Washington DC: Author.Google Scholar
- American Psychological Association Committee on Accreditation. (2006). 2006 annual report. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Education Leadership Conference. (2001). Rethinking education in psychology and psychology in education. Core knowledge in doctoral education and training in psychology (http://www.apa.org/ed/elc/documents.html, accessed January 13, 2008).
- Hoffer, T. B., Hess, M., Welch, V., & Williams, K. (2007). Doctorate recipients from United States universities: Summary report 2006. Chicago: National Opinion Research Center.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine. (2003). Health professions education: A bridge to quality. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine. (2004). Improving medical education: Enhancing the behavioral and social science content of medical school curricula. Washington DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Kaslow, N. J., Rubin, N. J., Leigh, I. W., Portnoy, S., Lichtenberg, J., Smith, I. L., et al. (2006). American Psychological Association Task Force on the Assessment of Competence in Professional Psychology. Washington D.C.: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Kirch, D. (2007, April). Medical education: The transformational challenge. AAMC reporter. Retrieved January 15, 2008 from, http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/april07/word.htm.