Relation between the skew-rank of an oriented graph and the independence number of its underlying graph
- 164 Downloads
An oriented graph \(G^\sigma \) is a digraph without loops or multiple arcs whose underlying graph is G. Let \(S\left( G^\sigma \right) \) be the skew-adjacency matrix of \(G^\sigma \) and \(\alpha (G)\) be the independence number of G. The rank of \(S(G^\sigma )\) is called the skew-rank of \(G^\sigma \), denoted by \(sr(G^\sigma )\). Wong et al. (Eur J Comb 54:76–86, 2016) studied the relationship between the skew-rank of an oriented graph and the rank of its underlying graph. In this paper, the correlation involving the skew-rank, the independence number, and some other parameters are considered. First we show that \(sr(G^\sigma )+2\alpha (G)\geqslant 2|V_G|-2d(G)\), where \(|V_G|\) is the order of G and d(G) is the dimension of cycle space of G. We also obtain sharp lower bounds for \(sr(G^\sigma )+\alpha (G),\, sr(G^\sigma )-\alpha (G)\), \(sr(G^\sigma )/\alpha (G)\) and characterize all corresponding extremal graphs.
KeywordsSkew-rank Oriented graph Evenly-oriented Independence number
Mathematics Subject Classification05C50
The authors would like to express their sincere gratitude to all of the referees for their insightful comments and suggestions, which led to a number of improvements to this paper.
- Anuradha A, Balakrishnan R (2013) Skew spectrum of the Cartesian product of an oriented graph with an oriented Hypercube. In: Bapat RB, Kirkland SJ, Prasad KM, Puntanen S (eds) Combinatorial matrix Theory and generalized inverses of matrices. Springer, New York, pp 1–12Google Scholar
- Aouchiche M (2006) Comparaison automatisée d’invariants en théorie des graphes, Ph.D. Thesis, École Polytechnique de MontréalGoogle Scholar
- Aouchiche M, Bonnefoy JM, Fidahoussen A, Caporossi G, Hansen P, Hiesse L, Lacher J, Monhait A (2005) Variable neighborhood search for extremal graphs. 14. The AutoGraphiX 2 system. In: Liberti L, Maculan N (eds) Global optimization: from theory to implementation. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Bondy JA, Murty USR (2008) Graph theory. In: Axler S, Ribet KA (eds) Graduate texts in mathematics, vol 244. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Huang J, Li SC (under review) Further relation between the skew-rank of an oriented graph and the rank of its underlying graphGoogle Scholar
- Li XL, Yu GH (2015) The skew-rank of oriented graphs. Sci Sin Math 45:93–104 (Chinese)Google Scholar