A short-term trend prediction model of topic over Sina Weibo dataset
- 986 Downloads
Microblog has become a popular social network service. It provides a new communication platform for information acquisition, sharing and spreading. In addition to presenting daily-life reports from users, microblog also reports unexpected events, which get broad attention. How to forecast such unexpected events as early as possible? In this paper, we propose a short-term trend prediction model of topics in Sina Weibo, the most popular microblog service in China. Based on real microblog data, we first analyze which Weibo data attributes have influence on the spreading of topics, and then build a topic spreading model. Further, we develop a model of short-term trend prediction of topics. With dataset from Weibo, we test our algorithm and analyze the experimental data which shows that the proposed model can give a short-term trend prediction of Weibo topic.
KeywordsSocial networks Sina Weibo Analysis of Weibo properties Prediction model Microblog
This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61202163, 61240035, 61373100); Natural Science Foundation of Shanxi Province (Grant No. 2012011015-1) and Programs for Science and Technology Development of Shanxi Province (Grant No. 20120313032-3). This work was also supported in part by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) under Grant No. CNS-1016320 and CCF-0829993.
- Chen CC, Chen YT, Chen MC (2007) An aging theory for event life-cycle modeling. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern Part A 37(2):237–248Google Scholar
- Fan P, Wang H, Jiang Z, Li P (2012) Measurement of microblogging network. J Comput Res Dev 49(4):691–699Google Scholar
- Gomez V, Kaltenbrunner A, Lopez V (2008) Statistical analysis of the social network and discussion threads in Slashdot. Proceedings of the 17th international conference on World Wide Web, Beijing, China, pp. 645–654.Google Scholar
- Jamali S, Rangwala H (2009) Digging digg: comment mining, trend prediction, and social network analysis. International conference on web information systems and mining, Shanghai, pp. 32–38.Google Scholar
- Lu Z, Fan L, Wu W, Thuraisingham B, Yang K (2014) Efficient influence spread estimation for influence maximization under the linear threshold model. Comput Soc Netw (in press).Google Scholar
- Lu D, Li Q (2010) Exploiting semantic hierarchies for flickr group. Active Media Technology. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 6335, pp. 74–85.Google Scholar
- Nikolov S, Shah D (2012) A nonparametric method for early detection of trending topics, WIDSGoogle Scholar
- Zhang C, Sun J (2002) Large scale microblog mining using distributed MB-LDA. WWW (companion volume 2012), pp. 1035–1042.Google Scholar