On the performances of Nash equilibria in isolation games
- 80 Downloads
We study the performances of Nash equilibria in isolation games, a class of competitive location games recently introduced in Zhao et al. (Proc. of the 19th International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation (ISAAC), pp. 148–159, 2008). For all the cases in which the existence of Nash equilibria has been shown, we give tight or asymptotically tight bounds on the prices of anarchy and stability under the two classical social functions mostly investigated in the scientific literature, namely, the minimum utility per player and the sum of the players’ utilities. Moreover, we prove that the convergence to Nash equilibria is not guaranteed in some of the not yet analyzed cases.
KeywordsNash equilibria Price of anarchy and stability Isolation games
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anshelevich E, Dasgupta A, Tardos E, Wexler T (2003) Near-optimal network design with selfish agents. In: Proc of the 35th annual ACM symposium on theory of computing (STOC). ACM, New York, pp 511–520 Google Scholar
- Dürr C, Thang NK (2007) Nash equilibria in Voronoi games on graphs. In: Proc of the 15th annual European symposium on algorithms (ESA). LNCS, vol 4698. Springer, Berlin, pp 17–28 Google Scholar
- Hotelling H (1929) Stability in competition. Comput Geom Theory Appl 39(153):41–57 Google Scholar
- Jain AK, Murty MN, Flynn PJ (1999) Data clustering: a review. ACM Comput Surv 31(3) Google Scholar
- Koutsoupias E, Papadimitriou CH (1999) Worst-case equilibria. In: Proc of the 16th international symposium on theoretical aspects of computer science (STACS). LNCS, vol 1653. Springer, Berlin, pp 404–413 Google Scholar
- Mavronicolas M, Monien B, Papadopoulou VG, Schoppmann F (2008) Voronoi games on cycle graphs. In: Proc. of the 33rd international symposium on mathematical foundations of computer science (MFCS). LNCS, vol 5162. Springer, Berlin, pp 503–514 Google Scholar
- Nash J (1950) Equilibrium points in n-person games. In: Proc of the national academy of sciences, vol 36, pp 48–49 Google Scholar
- Zhao Y, Chen W, Teng SH (2008) The isolation game: A game of distances. In: Proc of the 19th international symposium on algorithms and computation (ISAAC). LNCS, vol 5369. Springer, Berlin, pp 148–159 Google Scholar