An Improved Approximation Algorithm for Multicast k-Tree Routing
An improved approximation algorithm is presented in this paper for the multicast k-tree routing problem. The algorithm has a worst case performance ratio of (2.4 + ρ), where ρ is the best approximation ratio for the metric Steiner tree problem (and is about 1.55 so far). The previous best approximation algorithm for the multicast k-tree routing problem has a performance ratio of 4. Two techniques, weight averaging and tree partitioning, are developed to facilitate the algorithm design and analysis.
Keywordsapproximation algorithm multicast k-tree routing Steiner minimum tree weight averaging tree partitioning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness. W.H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- C. Gröpl, S. Hougardy, T. Nierhoff, and H.J. Prömel, “Approximation algorithms for the Steiner tree problem in graphs,” In D.-Z. Du and X. Cheng (Eds.), Steiner Trees in Industries, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001, pp. 235–279.Google Scholar
- R.L. Hadas. “Efficient collective communication in WDM networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE ICCCN 2000, 2000, pp. 612–616.Google Scholar
- X.-D. Hu, T.-P. Shuai, X. Jia, and M. H. Zhang, “Multicast routing and wavelength assignment in WDM networks with limited drop-offs,” In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2004, 2004.Google Scholar
- C. Huitema, Routing in the Internet. Prentice Hall PTR, 2000.Google Scholar
- F. Kuo, W. Effelsberg, and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, Multimedia Communications: Protocols and Applications. Prentice Hall, Inc., 1998.Google Scholar
- G. Robins and A. Zelikovsky, “Improved Steiner tree approximation in graphs,” in Proceedings of the 11th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2000), 2000, pp. 770–779.Google Scholar
- A.S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1996.Google Scholar
- X. Zhang, J. Wei, and C. Qiao, “Constrained multicast routing in WDM networks with sparse light splitting,” in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, March 26–30, 2000, pp. 1781–1790.Google Scholar