Relations Between Respiratory Changes in R-Wave Amplitude and Arterial Pulse Pressure in Mechanically Ventilated Patients
- 136 Downloads
R-wave obtained from the electrocardiogram depends on ventricular stroke volume. We assessed the relationship between respiratory variations in R-wave (ΔRDII) and in pulse pressure (ΔPP) during general anesthesia.
R-wave amplitude was measured from standard lead II (RDII). Maximal RDII (RDIImax) and minimal RDII (RDIImin) were determined over one respiratory cycle. ΔRDII was calculated as 100 × [RDIImax-RDIImin]/([RDIImax + RDIImin]/2. ΔRDII and ΔPP were simultaneously recorded.
There was a significant relationship (r = 0.79; P < 0.001) between ΔRDII and ΔPP. A ΔRDII > 13% detected patients with a ΔPP > 13% with an 89% sensitivity, and an 88% specificity.
ΔRDII and ΔPP are related in this setting.
Keywordsbrody effect fluid responsiveness monitoring non invasive cardiopulmonary interactions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank Max Cho (Medical student, University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine) for English editing.
- 4.Michard F, Boussat S, Chemla D, Anguel N, Mercat A, Lecarpentier Y, Richard C, Pinsky MR, Teboul JL. Relation between respiratory changes in arterial pulse pressure and fluid responsiveness in septic patients with acute circulatory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;162:134–8.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Cannesson M, Slieker J, Desebbe O, Bauer C, Chiari P, Hénaine R, Lehot JJ. The ability of a novel algorithm for automatic estimation of the respiratory variations in arterial pulse pressure to monitor fluid responsiveness in the operating room. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:1195–2000.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Madias JE, Narayan V. Augmentation of the amplitude of electrocardiographic QRS complexes immediately after hemodialysis: a study of 26 hemodialysis sessions of a single patient, aided by measurements of resistance, reactance, and impedance. J Electrocardiol. 2003;36:263–71.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Soltner C, Dantec R, Lebreton F, Huntzinger J, Beydon L. Changes in R-Wave amplitude in DII lead is less sensitive than pulse pressure variation to detect changes in stroke volume after fluid challenge in ICU patients postoperatively to cardiac surgery. J Clin Monit Comput. 2010;24:133–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cannesson M, Aboy M, Hofer CK, Rehman M. Pulse pressure variation: where are we today?. J Clin Monit Comput 2010.. doi:10.1007/s10877-010-9229-1