Evaluation of Toxicity of Chemically Synthesised Gold Nanoparticles Against Eudrilus eugeniae
- 51 Downloads
Gold nanoparticles have attracted much interest in various fields very specifically in biomedical engineering. As gold nanoparticles have wide range of applications in different fields, there is a need to study about its toxicity against the biological systems. Hence, this study mainly focuses on the determination of toxicity of gold nanoparticles. In this research, gold nanoparticles were synthesized using various concentration of chloroauric acid by citrate reduction method. The produced particles were characterized using UV–Vis, SEM and AFM analysis. The particles were checked for its toxicity against earthworm—Eudrilus eugeniae and histology was done, where it was found to destroy the epidermis of gut and clitellum of the earthworm depicting the toxicity of gold nanoparticles.
KeywordsGold nanoparticles Toxicity Eudrilus eugeniae Histology ICP-OES
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest.
- 3.A. De, R. Bose, A. Kumar, and S. Mozumdar A Brief Overview of Nanotechnology, Targeted Delivery of Pesticides Using Biodegradable Polymeric Nanoparticles, SpringerBriefs in Molecular Science (Springer, Belrin, 2014), pp. 35–36.Google Scholar
- 12.L. A. Dykman and N. G. Khlebtsov (2011). Acta Nat. 3(2), 34.Google Scholar
- 23.N. Suganthy, V. S. Ramkumar, A. Pugazhendhi, G. Benelli, and G. Archunan (2017). Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 25(11), 10418.Google Scholar
- 28.P. L. Mok, S. N. Leow, A. E. Koh, H. H. Mohd Nizam, S. L. Ding, C. Luu, R. Ruhaslizan, H. S. Wong, W. H. Halim, M. H. Ng, R. B. Idrus, S. R. Chowdhury, C. M. Bastion, S. K. Subbiah, A. Higuchi, A. A. Alarfaj, and K. Y. Then (2017). Int. J. Mol. Sci. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18020345.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 37.R. Sherman (2003). Raising earthworms successfully, North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. EBAE, 103-83.Google Scholar
- 56.I. Alahdadi and F. Behboudi (2015). Int. J. Environ. Res. 9(1), 35.Google Scholar