Copper Oxide Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization and Their Antibacterial Activity
Copper oxide nanoparticles were prepared by electrochemical reduction method using tetra butyl ammonium bromide (TBAB) as structure directing agent in an organic medium viz. tetra hydro furan (THF) and acetonitrile (ACN) in 4:1 ratio by optimizing current density and molar concentration of the ligand. The reduction process takes place under inert atmosphere of nitrogen over a period of 2 h. Such nanoparticles are prepared using simple electrolysis cell in which the sacrificial anode as a commercially available copper metal sheet and platinum (inert) sheet act as a cathode. The parameters such as current density, solvent polarity, distance between electrodes, and concentration of stabilizers are used to control the size of nanoparticles. The synthesized copper oxide nanoparticles were characterized by using UV–Visible, FT-IR, XRD, SEM–EDS and TEM analysis techniques. The nanoparticles were tested for antibacterial activity against human pathogens like Escherichia coli (E. coli) and Staphylococcus strains and which was proved to be excellent.
KeywordsElectrochemical cell Tetra butyl ammonium bromide Copper oxide nanoparticles Human pathogens Antibacterial activity
We are grateful to the Head, Department of Chemistry, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University Aurangabad-431 004 for providing laboratory facility.
- 15.B. O. Seraphin and J. A. Aranovich, Springer-Verlag (Berlin, New York, 1979).Google Scholar
- 19.F. Marabelh and G. B. Parravicini (1994). J. Phys. B 255, 199.Google Scholar
- 21.H. Horiguchi, Chemistry of Antimicrobial Agents (Sankyo Press, Tokyo, 1980), 46.Google Scholar
- 23.B. Li, S. Yu, J. Y. Hwang, and S. Shi (2002). J. Miner. Mater. Charact. Eng. 1, 61.Google Scholar
- 25.M. T. Reetz and W. Helbig (1994). J. Am. Chem. Soc. 116, 740.Google Scholar
- 30.W. T. Yao, S. H. Yu, Y. Zhou, J. Jiang, Q. S. Wu, L. Zhang, and J. Jiang (2005). J. Phys. Chem. B 109, 14016.Google Scholar
- 31.D. Tiwari, J. Behari, and P. Sen (2008). Curr. Sci. 95, 647.Google Scholar