Molecular Dynamics Simulation of the Melting and Coalescence in the Mixed Cu–Ni Nanoclusters
Molecular dynamics simulation with the embedded atom method was applied to study the melting and coalescence in the mixed Cu–Ni nanoclusters. The validity of the model was tested by examining the consistency of the phase diagrams of the (Cu682-mNim)682 and (Cu1048-mNim)1048 clusters with the Cu–Ni bulk. The coalescences of two mixed Cu–Ni clusters and a pure Cu cluster with a pure Ni cluster were simulated. The coalesced temperature Tc forming a liquid complex and melting temperature Tm of the cluster with the same size were compared. The results indicate that Tc is higher than Tm for the coalescences of both (CuNi)682 and (CuNi)1048 clusters. The analysis of the relationship between the Cu–Ni bond content and Tc indicates that the formation of the Cu–Ni bonds contributes a lot to the phenomenon.
KeywordsCoalescence Mixed cluster Melting Molecular dynamics
- 1.H. N. G. Wadley, X. Zhou, R. A. Johnson, and M. Neurock Prog (2001). Mater. Sci. 46, 329.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. G. Chushak and L. S. Bartell (2003). J. Phys. Chem. 107, 3747.Google Scholar
- 5.S. P. Huang and P. B. Balbuena (2002). J. Phys. Chem. 106, 7225.Google Scholar
- 26.A. S. Liu Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams (Metallurgical Industry Press, Beijing, 2004).Google Scholar
- 27.J. M. Xiao The Subject of Alloys Energy (Shanghai Science and Technology Press, Shanghai, 1985).Google Scholar