Recurrent Salmonella typhi Infection and Autoimmunity in a Young Boy with Complete IL-12 Receptor β1 Deficiency
- 21 Downloads
To the Editor
Mendelian susceptibility to mycobacterial diseases (MSMD) is a group of rare primary immunodeficiency (PID) diseases characterized by defects of IL-12/IFN-γ pathway. The defect predisposes an individual for infections with unusual intracellular organisms typically mycobacteria and salmonella [1, 2]. Autoimmune manifestations only rarely develop in these patients [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]. We report one such patient with IL-12 receptor β1 defect who had recurrent Salmonella typhi infection, leukocytoclastic vasculitis, and autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
KeywordsCoombs test corticosteroids hemolysis IL-12 receptor β1 deficiency Salmonella typhi vasculitis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interests
The authors declared that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Sogkas G, Atschekzei F, Schacht V, von Falck C, Jablonka A, Jacobs R, et al. First association of interleukin 12 receptor beta 1 deficiency with Sjögren’s syndrome. Front Immunol. 2017;28:8.Google Scholar
- 6.Khamassi I, Ben Ali M, Ben Mustapha I, Barbouche MR, Bejaoui M, Bouyahia O, et al. Salmonella enteriditis inducing cutaneous leucocytoclasic vasculitis: an unusual complication in a patient with an interleukine- 12 receptor beta-1 deficiency. Tunis Med. 2015;93(5):328–9.Google Scholar
- 12.Papanikolaou IS, Psilopoulos DI, Liatsos C, Lazaris AC, Petraki K, Mavrogiannis C. Salmonella colitis or inflammatory bowel disease? A case demonstrating overlapping of clinical, endoscopic and pathologic features. Ann Gastroenterol. 2001;14(1):65–9.Google Scholar
- 14.Boisson-Dupuis S, Ramerez-Alejo N, Li Z, Patin E, Rao G, Kerner G, et al. Tuberculosis and impaired IL-23–dependent IFN-γ immunity in humans homozygous for a common TYK2missense variant. Science Immunology. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciimmunol.aau8714.
- 15.Martínez-Barricarte R, Markle JG, Ma CS, Deenick EK, Ramírez-Alejo N, Mele F. Human IFN-γ immunity to mycobacteria is governed by by both IL-12 and IL-23. Science Immunology. 2018;3. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciimmunol.aau6759.