Primary Immune Deficiencies Presenting in Adults: Seven Years of Experience from Iran
- 182 Downloads
Primary immunodeficiencies (PIDs) are not solely diseases of childhood. We describe the clinical presentation and outcome for 55 adult patients with previously unrecognized PIDs. This series provides unique data regarding PIDs presenting in adulthood, and serves as a timely reminder that physicians must consider the diagnosis of PIDs in their adult patients. Using the experience gained from these patients, we outline key “warning signs” suggestive of an underlying PID. Only through increased physician awareness will patients with PIDs receive timely diagnosis and optimal management.
Key WordsPrimary immunodeficiency adults Iran diagnostic delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 12.Gadola S, Salzer U, Schultz H, Grimbacher B: Adult-onset primary immunodeficiencies. Internist (Berl) 45:912–922, 2004Google Scholar
- 13.Aghamohammadi A, Moein M, Farhoudi A, Pourpak Z, Rezaei N, Abolmaali K, Movahedi M, Gharagozlou M, Ghazi BM, Mahmoudi M, Mansouri D, Arshi S, Trash NJ, Akbari H, Sherkat R, Hosayni RF, Hashemzadeh A, Mohammadzadeh I, Amin R, Kashef S, Alborzi A, Karimi A, Khazaei H: Primary immunodeficiency in Iran: First report of the National Registry of PID in Children and Adults. J Clin Immunol 22:375–380, 2002CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zelazko M, Carneiro-Sampaio M, Cornejo de Luigi M, Garcia de Olarte D, Porras Madrigal O, Berron Perez R, Cabello A, Rostan MV, Sorensen RU: Primary immunodeficiency diseases in Latin America: First report from eight countries participating in the LAGID. Latin American Group for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases. J Clin Immunol 18:161–166, 1998CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Movahedi M, Aghamohammadi A, Rezaei N, Shahnavaz N, Jandaghi AB, Farhoudi A, Pourpak Z, Moin M, Gharagozlou M, Mansouri D: Chronic granulomatous disease: A clinical survey of 41 patients from the Iranian primary immunodeficiency registry. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 134:253–259, 2004CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Mellemkjaer L, Hammarstrom L, Andersen V, Yuen J, Heilmann C, Barington T, Bjorkander J, Olsen JH: Cancer risk among patients with IgA deficiency or common variable immunodeficiency and their relatives: A combined Danish and Swedish study. Clin Exp Immunol 130:495–500, 2002CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar