A simple and robust procedure for coring unconsolidated sediment in shallow water
- 168 Downloads
This article describes a simple, quick, and inexpensive procedure for coring unconsolidated sediment in shallow water (<30 m from water surface). A ∼1 m core is retrieved by a PVC pipe that penetrates sediment in response to the percussive force of a hand-operated hammering tool or air hammer. After retrieving the first core segment, a casing is inserted to allow access to deeper sediment layers. Pulverized sediment produced during coring is removed by a water-lubrication system that is powered by an electric pump attached to a generator. Using this system and procedure, five 2-m-long cores with excellent quality were retrieved.
KeywordsCoring system sand bar tidal flat seagrass bed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dardeau, M. R., R. B. Aronson, W. F. Precht and I. G. Macintyre (2000): Use of a hand-operated, open-barrel corer to sample uncemented Holocene coral reefs. p. 6–9. In Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 20th Annual Scientific Diving Symposium, ed. by P. Hallock and L. French, American Academy of Underwater Sciences, Nahant, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, R. and J. Glew (1985): A portable percussion coring device for lacustrine and marine sediments. J. Sediment. Petrol., 55, 607–608.Google Scholar
- Jones, B., K. F. Phimester, I. G. Hunter and P. Blanchon (1992): A quick, inexpensive, self-contained sediment coring system for use underwater. J. Sediment. Petrol., 62, 725–728.Google Scholar
- Lanesky, D. E., B. W. Logan, R. G. Brown and A. C. Hine (1979): A new approach to portable vibracoring underwater and on land. J. Sediment. Petrol., 49, 654–657.Google Scholar
- Martin, E. A. and R. J. Miller (1982): A simple, diver-operated coring device for collecting undisturbed shallow cores. J. Sediment. Petrol., 52, 641–642.Google Scholar
- Parker, A. and C. McCann (1988): Percussion corer and extrusion device for unconsolidated sediments. J. Sediment. Petrol., 58, 752–753.Google Scholar
- Sanders, J. E. (1968): Diver-operated simple hand tools for coring nearshore sands. J. Sediment. Petrol., 38, 1381–1386.Google Scholar