Heat content change in the surface isothermal layer of a warm core ring in the sea east of Japan
- 54 Downloads
Heat content change in the surface isothermal layer of a typical warm core ring in the sea east of Japan is described based on approximately 90 CTD profiles obtained by one profiling float. Erosion of the seasonal thermocline and development of a surface isothermal layer from the mid-summer to the early winter of 1999 are clearly seen. While heat content change between two consecutive profiles with a 35-hour time interval is much noisier, its 10-day running mean is consistent with net surface heat flux, indicating that surface heat flux dominates the temporal heat content change in the surface isothermal layer in the warm core ring.
KeywordsMixed layer isothermal layer heat flux warm core ring the sea east of Japan profiling float
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clark, N. E., L. Eber, R. M. Laurs, J. A. Renner and J. F. T. Saur (1974): Heat exchange between ocean and atmosphere in the eastern North Pacific for 1961-71. NOAA Tec. Rep. NMFS SSRF-682, 108 pp.Google Scholar
- Hakodate Marine Observatory (1999): Oceanographic Observation Report of the Hakodate Marine Observatory, 37(2).Google Scholar
- Hanawa, K. and Y. Toba (1981): Terms governing temperature and thickness of the oceanic mixed layer and their estimates for sea area south of Japan. Tohoku Geophysical Journal, 28, 161–173.Google Scholar
- Japan Marine Science Foundation (1999): An interim report on the “Studies on Optimum Design for ARGO (SODA)”, 106 pp. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Kawai, H. (1972): Hydrography of the Kuroshio Extension. p. 235–352. In Kuroshio: Its Physical Aspects, ed. by H. Stommel and K. Yoshida, University of Tokyo Press.Google Scholar
- Kondo, J. (1975): Air-sea bulk transfer coefficients in diabatic conditions. Boundary-Layer Meteor., 9, 91–112.Google Scholar
- Ohno, Y., T. Kobayashi, N. Iwasaka and T. Suga (2004): The mixed layer depth in the North Pacific as detected by the Argo floats. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L11306, doi:10.1029/2004GL019576.Google Scholar
- Sato, K., T. Suga and K. Hanawa (2004): Barrier layer in the North Pacific subtropical gyre. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L05301, doi:10.1029/2003GL018590.Google Scholar
- Yasuda, I., K. Okuda and M. Hirai (1992): Evolution of a Kuroshio warm-core ring—variability of the hydrographic structure. Deep-Sea Res., 39, S131–S161.Google Scholar