Synthesis of the 4-Picoline (4-Pic) Complex of 4-Trifluoromethylphenylboronic Acid Catechol Ester (TFCB): The Unusual Co-crystal Structure—5(4-Pic·TFCB)·4-Pic
- 160 Downloads
A novel complex of 4-picoline (4-Pic) with 4-trifluoromethylphenyl catechol boronate (TFCB) has been prepared and characterized by 1H NMR, 13C NMR, and X-ray diffraction analysis. When crystallized by evaporation from toluene a remarkable co-crystal was formed: 5(4-Pic·TFCB)·4-Pic (monoclinic P21, a = 13.4536(2) Å, b = 24.4320(3) Å, c = 14.0960(2) Å, β = 96.4340(10)°, vol. = 4604.15(11) Å3, Z = 2). The likely cause of the co-crystallization is π-stacking between complexed and free 4-Pic.
KeywordsAmine–boronate complex Boroxine Boronate Dative bond X-ray diffraction Co-crystal Z′ > 1
NJW and WRK would like to thank the Department of Chemistry & Physics at Western Carolina University. RDP would like to acknowledge the support of NSF (CHE-0443345) and the College of William and Mary for the purchase of X-ray equipment.
- 3.Ritchey JM (1968) Synthesis and properties of addition complexes of boroxines and other selected boron-containing systems. University of ColoradoGoogle Scholar
- 15.SAINT PLUS: Bruker Analytical X-ray Systems: Madison, WI, 2001Google Scholar
- 16.SADABS: Bruker Analytical X-ray Systems: Madison, WI, 2001Google Scholar
- 20.http://sdbs.db.aist.go.jp. Accessed 15 Apr 2015
- 28.Chikkali S, Magens S, Gudat D, Nieger M, Hartenbach I, Schleid T (2008) Eur J Inorg Chem 2207–2213:31Google Scholar