Mitochondrial respiratory dysfunction and mutations in mitochondrial DNA in PINK1 familial Parkinsonism
- 146 Downloads
A summary is presented of the cellular function and topology of the protein products of genes whose mutations are associated with familial forms of Parkinsonism, with particular emphasis on mitochondrial involvement. Observations are reviewed which show mitochondrial respiratory depression in the fibroblasts of a patient affected by familial Parkinsomism associated with homozygous PINK1 mutation. The respiratory depression, which was due to loss of mitochondrial cytochrome c, was associated with decreased capacity of respiratory chain oxidative phosphorylation and enhanced cellular level of ROS. Sequence analysis of the overall mtDNA revealed coexistence with the PINK1 mutation of homoplasmic point mutations in the ND5 and ND6 genes of complex I. The presence of these mutations appears to have an impact on the development of the Parkinsonism, which can also occur in the heterozygous PINK1 mutation state.
KeywordsMitochondria Parkinson disease PINK1 Cytochrome c Complex I mtDNA oxidative stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bonifati V, Rohe´ CF, Breedveld GJ, Fabrizio E, De Mari M, Tassorelli C, Tavella A, Marconi R, Nicholl DJ, Chien HF, Fincati E, Abbruzzese G, Marini P, De Gaetano A, Horstink MW, Maat-Kievit JA, Sampaio C, Antonini A, Stocchi F, Montagna P, Toni V, Guidi M, Dalla Libera A, Tinazzi M, De Pandis F, Fabbrini G, Goldwurm S, de Klein A, Barbosa E, Lopiano L, Martignoni E, Lamberti P, Vanacore N, Meco G, Oostra BA (2005) Italian Parkinson Genetics Network. Neurology 65:87–95CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chinta SJ, Andersen JK (2008) Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:1362–1367Google Scholar
- Clark IE, Dodson MW, Jiang C, Cao JH, Huh JR, Seol JH, Yoo SJ, Hay BA, Guo M (2006) Nature 441:1163–1166Google Scholar
- Majander A, Finel M, Wikstrom M (1994) J Biol Chem 269:21037–21042Google Scholar
- Papa F, Delia M, Trentadue R, Panelli D, Bellomo F, Serpico R, Petruzzi M, De Benedittis M, Scacco S (2007) Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 20:719–729Google Scholar
- Ramirez A, Heimbach A, Gründemann J, Stiller B, Hampshire D, Cid LP, Goebel I, Mubaidin AF, Wriekat AL, Roeper J, Al-Din A, Hillmer AM, Karsak M, Liss B, Woods CG, Behrens MI, Kubisch C (2006) Nat. Genet. 38:1184–1191Google Scholar
- West AB, Moore DJ, Biskup S, Bugayenko A, Smith WW, Ross CA, Dawson VL, Dawson TM (2005) Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A. 102(16):842–847Google Scholar