Combined automated NOE assignment and structure calculation with CYANA
- 1.6k Downloads
The automated assignment of NOESY cross peaks has become a fundamental technique for NMR protein structure analysis. A widely used algorithm for this purpose is implemented in the program CYANA. It has been used for a large number of structure determinations of proteins in solution but was so far not described in full detail. In this paper we present a complete description of the CYANA implementation of automated NOESY assignment, which differs extensively from its predecessor CANDID by the use of a consistent probabilistic treatment, and we discuss its performance in the second round of the critical assessment of structure determination by NMR.
KeywordsAutomated assignment NOESY Distance restraints Structure calculation CYANA CASD-NMR
We gratefully acknowledge financial support by the Lichtenberg program of the Volkswagen Foundation and a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
- Buchner L, Güntert P (2015b) Systematic evaluation of combined automated NOE assignment and structure calculation with CYANA. J Biomol NMR. doi: 10.1007/s10858-015-9921-z
- Güntert P, Qian YQ, Otting G, Müller M, Gehring W, Wüthrich K (1991b) Structure determination of the Antp(C39S) homeodomain from nuclear magnetic resonance data in solution using a novel strategy for the structure calculation with the programs DIANA, CALIBA, HABAS and GLOMSA. J Mol Biol 217:531–540CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kuszewski J, Schwieters CD, Garrett DS, Byrd RA, Tjandra N, Clore GM (2004) Completely automated, highly error-tolerant macromolecular structure determination from multidimensional nuclear overhauser enhancement spectra and chemical shift assignments. J Am Chem Soc 126:6258–6273CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rosato A, Bagaria A, Baker D, Bardiaux B, Cavalli A, Doreleijers JF, Giachetti A, Guerry P, Güntert P, Herrmann T, Huang YJ, Jonker HRA, Mao B, Malliavin TE, Montelione GT, Nilges M, Raman S, van der Schot G, Vranken WF, Vuister GW, Bonvin AMJJ (2009) CASD-NMR: critical assessment of automated structure determination by NMR. Nat Methods 6:625–626CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rosato A, Aramini JM, Arrowsmith C, Bagaria A, Baker D, Cavalli A, Doreleijers JF, Eletsky A, Giachetti A, Guerry P, Gutmanas A, Güntert P, He YF, Herrmann T, Huang YPJ, Jaravine V, Jonker HRA, Kennedy MA, Lange OF, Liu GH, Malliavin TE, Mani R, Mao BC, Montelione GT, Nilges M, Rossi P, van der Schot G, Schwalbe H, Szyperski TA, Vendruscolo M, Vernon R, Vranken WF, de Vries S, Vuister GW, Wu B, Yang YH, Bonvin AMJJ (2012) Blind testing of routine, fully automated determination of protein structures from NMR data. Structure 20:227–236CrossRefGoogle Scholar