Solution NMR structure determination of proteins revisited
- 581 Downloads
This ‘Perspective’ bears on the present state of protein structure determination by NMR in solution. The focus is on a comparison of the infrastructure available for NMR structure determination when compared to protein crystal structure determination by X-ray diffraction. The main conclusion emerges that the unique potential of NMR to generate high resolution data also on dynamics, interactions and conformational equilibria has contributed to a lack of standard procedures for structure determination which would be readily amenable to improved efficiency by automation. To spark renewed discussion on the topic of NMR structure determination of proteins, procedural steps with high potential for improvement are identified.
KeywordsNMR structure determination of proteins Protein biochemistry Automation Structural biology Structural genomics
We thank Dr. Ian A. Wilson for a critical reading of the manuscript. M.B. acknowledges support by the EU (LSHG-CT-2005-018988), G.W. by the NIH grant GM 47467, and K.W. by the Joint Center for Structural Genomics in La Jolla, CA, USA (JCSG, NIH #GM074898) and the NCCR Structural Biology (Swiss National Science Foundation and ETH Zürich, Switzerland).
- Acton TB, Gunsalus KC, Xiao R, Ma LC, Aramini J, Baran MC, Chiang Y-W, Climent T, Cooper B, Denissova NG, Douglas SM, Everett JK, Ho CK, Macapagal D, Rajan PK, Shastry R, Shih L-Y, Swapna GV, Wilson M, Wu M, Gerstein M, Inouye M, Hunt JF, Montelione GT (2005) Robotic cloning and protein production platform of the northeast structural genomics consortium. Methods Enzymol 394:210–243CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cavanagh J, Fairbrother WJ, Palmer AG, Rance M, Skelton NJ (2007) Protein NMR spectroscopy. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Liu G, Shen Y, Atreya HS, Parish D, Shao Y, Sukumaran DK, Xiao R, Yee A, Lemak A, Bhattacharya A, Acton TA, Arrowsmith CH, Montelione GT, Szyperski T (2005) NMR data collection and analysis protocol for high-throughput protein structure determination. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:10487–10492CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- Stuart DI, Jones EY, Wilson KS, Daenke S (2006) Structural proteomics in Europe—the best of both worlds. Acta Crystallogr D. doi: 10.1107/S0907444906035347
- Yee A, Chang X, Pineda-Lucena A, Wu B, Semsei A, Le B, Ramelot T, Lee GM, Bhattacharyya S, Gutierrez P, Denisov A, Lee C-H, Cort JR, Kozlov G, Liao J, Finak G, Chen L, Wishart D, Lee W, Mcintosh LP, Gerhring K, Kennedy MA, Edwards AM, Arrowsmith CH (2002) An NMR approach to structural proteomics. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:1825–1830CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar