Comparison of mesenchymal stem cell proliferation and differentiation between biomimetic and electrochemical coatings on different topographic surfaces
The hypothesis for this study was that there is no difference in mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) proliferation and osteogenic differentiation between calcium-phosphate (CaP) coatings with different crystal size deposited on different topographic surfaces of metal discs. Polished (P) and sand-blasted (SB) tantalum and TiAl6V4 discs were CaP coated by three methods—biomimetic (BioM), electrochemical at 20 mA/cm2 and at 6.5 mA/cm2—and cultured with MSCs. At days 4, 7 and 14, cell proliferation—alamarBlue® activity and DNA quantification—and differentiation down the osteogenic lineage—ALP activity normalised per amount of DNA and SEM (morphology)—were analysed. Results showed that MSCs proliferated more when cultured on the nano-sized BioM coatings compared to uncoated and electrochemically coated discs. MSCs also proliferated more on P surfaces than on SB and or electrochemical coatings. All the coatings induced osteogenic differentiation, which was greater on electrochemical coatings and SB discs.
- 2.Grübl A, Chiari C, Gruber M, Kaider A, Gottsauner-Wolf F. Cementless total hip arthroplasty with a tapered, rectangular titanium stem and threaded cup: a minimum ten-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;81-A(3):425–31.Google Scholar
- 6.Tisdel CL, Goldberg VM, Parr JA, Bensusan JS, Staikoff LS, Stevenson S. The influence of a hydroxyapatite and tricalcium-phosphate coating on bone growth into titanium fiber-metal implants. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994;76-A(2):159–71.Google Scholar
- 13.Kashima DP, Rakngarm A. Calcium phosphate film coating on titanium substrate by electrochemical deposition. J Met Mater Miner. 2008;18(1):27–31.Google Scholar
- 21.Kokubo T, Kim HM, Kawashita M, Nakamura T. Process of calcification on artificial materials. Z Kardiol. 2001;90(3):86–91.Google Scholar
- 24.Wopenka B, Pasteris JD. A mineralogical perspective on the apatite in bone. Mater Sci Eng. 2005;C25:131–43.Google Scholar
- 31.Lian JB, Stein GS. Concepts of osteoblast growth and differentiation: basis for modulation of bone cell development and tissue formation. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1992;3(3):269–305.Google Scholar