Biomineralization capability of adherent bio-glass films prepared by magnetron sputtering
Radiofrequency magnetron sputtering deposition at low temperature (150°C) was used to deposit bioactive glass coatings onto titanium substrates. Three different working atmospheres were used: Ar 100%, Ar + 7%O2, and Ar + 20%O2. The preliminary adhesion tests (pull-out) produced excellent adhesion values (~75 MPa) for the as-deposited bio-glass films. Bioactivity tests in simulated body fluid were carried out for 30 days. SEM–EDS, XRD and FTIR measurements were performed. The tests clearly showed strong bioactive features for all the prepared films. The best biomineralization capability, expressed by the thickest chemically grown carbonated hydroxyapatite layer, was obtained for the bio-glass coating sputtered in a reactive atmosphere with 7% O2.
KeywordsSimulated Body Fluid Bioactive Glass Titanium Hydride Simulated Body Fluid Solution Carbonate Hydroxyapatite
Thanks are due to CICECO for the support and to the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology for the fellowship grants of S. Pina (SFRH/BD/21761/2005) and to Romanian Ministry of Education and Research for the scientific projects support: CEEX 307/2006 and PN II 71-110/2007. The financial support of “BD” PhD research scholarship offered by CNCSIS is also gratefully acknowledged by G.E. Stan.
- 14.Fathi MH, Doost Mohammadi A. Preparation and characterization of sol–gel bioactive glass coating for improvement of biocompatibility of human body implant. Mater Sci Eng A. 2008;474:3–128.Google Scholar
- 19.Hench LL, Wilson J. An introduction to bioceramics. 1st ed. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company; 1993.Google Scholar
- 20.Saiz E, Tomsia AP, Fujino S, Gomez-Vega JM. Graded coatings for metallic implant alloys. In: Lewinsohn CA, Singh M, Loehman R, editors. Ceramic transactions: advances in joining of ceramics. 2000. p. 159–72.Google Scholar
- 21.Wasa K, Kitabatake M, Adachi H. Thin film materials technology: sputtering of compound materials. New York: Noyes Publications; 2003.Google Scholar
- 26.Epple M, Bäuerlein E. Handbook of biomineralization: medical and clinical aspects. NY: Wiley; 2009.Google Scholar
- 36.Stan GE, Ferreira JMF. An algorithm for preparing bioactive fluorinated hydroxyapatite coatings by sol gel technique. J Optoelectron Adv Mater. 2007;9(8):2539–42.Google Scholar