Macroporous hydrogels based on 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate. Part 4: Growth of rat bone marrow stromal cells in three-dimensional hydrogels with positive and negative surface charges and in polyelectrolyte complexes
- 216 Downloads
The growth of bone marrow stromal cells was assessed in vitro in macroporous hydrogels based on 2-hydro- xyethyl methacrylate (HEMA) copolymers with different electric charges. Copolymers of HEMA with sodium methacrylate (MA−) carried a negative electric charge, copolymers of HEMA with [2-(methacryloyloxy)ethyl] trimethylammonium chloride (MOETA−) carried a positive electric charge and terpolymers of HEMA, MA− and MOETA+ carried both, positive and negative electric charges. The charges in the polyelectrolyte complexes were shielded by counter-ions. The hydrogels had similar porosities, based on a comparison of their diffusion parameters for small cations as measured by the real-time tetramethylammonium iontophoretic method of diffusion analysis. The cell growth was studied in the peripheral and central regions of the hydrogels at 2 hours and 2, 7, 14 and 28 days after cell seeding. Image analysis revealed the highest cellular density in the HEMA-MOETA+ copolymers; most of the cells were present in the peripheral region of the hydrogels. A lower density of cells but no difference between the peripheral and central regions was observed in the HEMA-MA− copolymers and in polyelectrolyte complexes. This study showed that positively charged functional groups promote the adhesion of cells.
KeywordsHEMA Bone Marrow Stromal Cell Cell Seeding Polyelectrolyte Complex Cellular Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. WOERLY, E. PINET, L. DE ROBERTIS, M. BOUSMINA, G. LAROCHE, T. ROITBAK, L. VARGOVA and E. SYKOVA J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 9 (1998) 681.Google Scholar
- 4.S. WOERLY, P. PETROV, E. SYKOVA, T. ROITBAK, Z. SIMONOVA and A. R. HARVEY Tissue Eng 5 (1999) 467.Google Scholar
- 13.D. A. STUART, C. P. PARAMORE, S. WOERLY and J. D. PEDUZZI, in Neurotrauma Society Meeting 2000.Google Scholar
- 20.C. NICHOLSON and J. M. PHILLIPS J Physiol 321 (1981) 225.Google Scholar
- 23.E. SYKOVA, L. URDZIKOVA, P. JENDELOVA, M. BURIAN, K. GLOGAROVA and M. HAJEK Exp Neurol 193 (2005) 261.Google Scholar
- 24.P. LESNY, M. PRADNY, A. HEJCL, P. JENDELOVA, J. MICHALEK and E. SYKOVA Exp. Neurol 187 (2004) 212.Google Scholar