Macroporous hydrogels based on 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate. Part 5: Hydrolytically degradable materials
- 190 Downloads
Macroporous hydrogels based on 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate, 2-ethoxyethyl methacrylate and N-(2-hydroxypropyl)methacrylamide, methacrylic acid and [2-(methacryloyloxy)ethyl]trimethylammonium chloride crosslinked with N,O-dimethacryloylhydroxylamine were prepared. Hydrogels were degraded in a buffer of pH 7.4. Completely water-soluble polymers were obtained over time periods ranging from 2 to 40 days. The process of degradation was followed gravimetrically and by optical and electron microscopy. In vivo biological tests with hydrogels based on copolymers of 2-ethoxyethyl methacrylate/N-(2-hydroxypropyl)methacrylamide were performed.
KeywordsHEMA Methacrylic Acid HPMA Methacrylamide Trimethylammonium Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. H. SILVER and R. W. JOHNSON, “Biomaterials, Medical Devices and Tissue ngineering: An Integrated Approach” (Chapman & Hall, London, 1994).Google Scholar
- 2.M. SEFTON, New Biomaterials, The 7th New Jersey Symposium on Biomaterials Science, New Brunswick (2004).Google Scholar
- 3.N. EFRON, “The International Contact Lens Year Book” (W.B. Saunders Company Ltd., 1993).Google Scholar
- 4.N. EFRON, “Contact Lens Practice” (Butterworth-Heinemann, New Delhi, 2002), p. 76.Google Scholar
- 5.R. G. MARTIN, J. P. GILLS and D. R. SANDERS, “Foldable Intraocular Lenses” (Slack Inc., NJ, USA, 1993), Section II and III.Google Scholar
- 14.K. ULBRICH, M. PECHAR, T. ETRYCH, M. JELÍNKOVÁ, M. KOVÁŘ and B. ŘÍHOVÁ, Mater. Struct. 10 (2003) 3.Google Scholar
- 16.N. A. PEPPAS, “Hydrogels in Medicine and Pharmacy” (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1986).Google Scholar
- 17.S. A. BERGER, W. GOLDSMITH and E. R. LEWIS, “Introduction to Bioengineering” (Oxford University Press, 1996).Google Scholar
- 18.S. W. KIM, Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng. 89 (2003) 178.Google Scholar
- 19.V. ŠKARDA and F. RYPÁČEK, J. Bioact. Compat. Polym. 12 (1997) 186.Google Scholar
- 21.H. DRNOVSKÁ, M. ŠLOUF and F. RYPÁČEK, “in Proceedings of the 40th IUPAC International Symposium on Macromolecules” (World Polymer Congress, Paris, 2004), p. 108.Google Scholar