Soluble phosphate glass fibres for repair of bone-ligament interface
- 226 Downloads
Phosphate-based fibres of the generic composition (CaO)0.46–(Na2O) n –(Fe2O3) y –(P2O5)0.50 have been evaluated, in vitro, as three dimensional scaffolds for tissue engineering of the hard-soft tissue interface by assessing the fibre solubility and growth and functional gene expression of human cells. Primary human osteoblasts and fibroblasts were seeded onto scaffolds and maintained in culture for up to 21 days. Fluorescent immunolabeling revealed the spread cell morphology and significant proliferation pattern on these fibres, particularly on the 3 mol% Fe2O3-containing formulation. Real-time quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (rtQ-PCR) analysis of gene expression using TaqMan® Probes was preformed and it has been established that committed cell differentiation was maintained by both cell types, and was strongly related to the 3 mol% Fe2O3 glass composition. These novel, readily manufactured, soluble glass fibres offer a biocompatible and biochemically favourable alternative in the search for suitable degradable materials used in Tissue Engineering.
KeywordsFe2O3 Na2O Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction Phosphate Glass Soluble Phosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. L. WOO, T. M. VOGRIN and S. D. ABRAMOWITCH, J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 8 (2000) 364.Google Scholar
- 3.V. SALIH, I. J. JALISI, D. LEE, K. FRANKS, G. W. HASTINGS, J. C. KNOWLES and I. OLSEN, Bioceramics 11 (1998) 269.Google Scholar
- 7.I. AHMED, M. LEWIS, I. OLSEN and J. C. KNOWLES, Biomaterials 25 (2004) 491.Google Scholar
- 8.I. AHMED, M. LEWIS, I. OLSEN and J. C. KNOWLES, Biomaterials 25 (2004) 501.Google Scholar
- 10.G. L. POLYZOIS, A. HENSTEN-PETTERSEN and A. KULLMANN, J. Prosthet. Dent. 71 (1994) 500.Google Scholar
- 13.T. V. THAMARAISELV. I. and S. RAJESWARI, Trends. Biomater. Artif. Organs 18 (2004) 9.Google Scholar
- 14.L. L. HENCH and J. K. WEST, Life Chemistry Reports 13 (1996) 187.Google Scholar
- 16.J. E. GOUGH, P. CHRISTIAN, C. A. SCOTCHFORD and I. A. JONES, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A 66 (2003) 233.Google Scholar
- 19.P. V. HAUSCHKA, J. B. LIAN, D. E. COLE and C. M. GUNDBERG, Physiol Rev. 69 (1989) 990.Google Scholar
- 23.C. B. FRANK, J. Musculoskelet. Neuronal. Interact. 4 (2004) 199.Google Scholar
- 24.M. G. PATINO, M. E. NEIDERS, S. ANDREANA, B. NOBLE and R. E. COHEN, Implant. Dent. 11 (2002) 280.Google Scholar