Synthesis, characterization, optical and photocatalytic activity of yttrium and copper co-doped zinc ferrite under visible light
- 16 Downloads
In this study, yttrium doped zinc ferrite (ZnFe2−xYxO4x = 0.01–0.1) and yttrium and copper co-doped zinc ferrite (CuyZn1−yFe2−xYxO4x = 0.1 and y = 0.5) were synthesized by solution combustion method. The synthesized nanoparticles were authenticated by various techniques such as X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), scanning electron microscopy–energy dispersive X-ray analysis (SEM-EDAX) and UV–visible spectroscopy. The photocatalytic activity of synthesized nanoparticles was studied by performing the degradation of methylene blue (MB) under visible light. 95% of MB was degraded in 180 min using yttrium-doped zinc ferrite. 89% of MB was degraded in 30 min using copper and yttrium co-doped zinc ferrite under visible light using 10 mg of the catalyst and 50 µl of hydrogen peroxide. Photocatalytic degradation of colorless pollutant bisphenol A also carried out using the doped zinc ferrite.
The authors thank VIT University, Vellore, for providing research facilities and seed grant for research.
- 2.W. Hu, N. Qin, G. Wu, Y. Lin, S. Li, D. Bao, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 36, 134 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.M. Asgharian, M. Mehdipourghazi, B. Khoshandam, N. Keramati, Chem. Phys. Lett. 16, 719 (2019)Google Scholar
- 17.S. Singhal, R. Sharma, C. Singh, S. Bansal, Indian J. Mater. Sci. 2013, 21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 26.H. Song, L. Zhu, Y. Li, Z. Lou, M. Xiao, Z. Ye, J. Mater. Chem. A 2, 16 (2015)Google Scholar
- 32.C. Yang, M. Zhang, W. Dong, G. Cui, Z. Ren, W. Wang, PLoS ONE 12, 3 (2017)Google Scholar