Suppressed dielectric loss and enhanced thermal conductivity in poly(vinylidene fluoride) nanocomposites using polyethylene glycol-grafted graphene oxide
- 29 Downloads
In order to realize efficient electronic energy storage and transfer, low dielectric loss as well as high thermal conductivity can be highly desirable for dielectric materials due to the associated ability to reduce and release the electrical energy dissipation as heat. However, it is challenging for percolative dielectric composites to simultaneously realize the two objectives above. In this study, polyethylene glycol-grafted graphene oxide (PEG-g-GO) is synthesized by grafting PEG on the graphene oxide. The grafted PEG serves as an interfacial modifier and insulting layer in poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVDF)/GO system. The PVDF/PEG-g-GO composites simultaneously exhibit both lower dielectric loss and higher thermal conductivity than the PVDF/GO composites. The grafted PEG on the GO surfaces can inhibit the dielectric loss through increasing the insulation capacity and free volume, as well as enhance the thermal conductivity by promoting the interfacial interaction and the GO dispersion.
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51503158, 51803155). We also acknowledge Analytical and Testing Center of Wuhan Textile University for performing the characterizations and analysis.
- 6.H. Wang, X. Zhang, J. Zha, Y. You, X. Yan, Z.M. Dang, Barium titanate@polyaniline core-shell semiconducting particles reinforced poly(vinylidene fluoride) flexible films with a percolation threshold and high dielectric constant. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 30, 3325–3331 (2019)Google Scholar
- 8.C. Pei, S.L. Jiang, Y. Yu, S. Liu, Y. Zeng, G.Z. Zhang, Effect of electric field on dielectric properties of antiferroelectric ceramic/polymer composites. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 3236–3242 (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.J. Zhang, H. Li, D. Hu, D. Fang, Z. Luo, J. Tu, J. Huang, M. Jiang, C. Xiong, A new strategy for the preparation of silver/epoxy/poly (vinylidene fluoride) dielectric composites with a multi-interface structure for suppressed dielectric loss. Polym. Compos. 39, E2606–E2610 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.J. Zhang, H. Li, J. Tu, R. Shi, Z. Luo, C. Xiong, M. Jiang, Shape stability of polyethylene glycol/acetylene black phase change composites for latent heat storage. Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2018, 3954163 (2018)Google Scholar
- 31.Y. Thakur, M. Lin, S. Wu, Q.M. Zhang. Introducing free volume in strongly dipolar polymers to achieve high dielectric constant. In: 2015 IEEE conference on electrical insulation and dielectric phenomena, Ann Arbor, October, pp. 636–639 (2015)Google Scholar