Preparation and microwave absorption properties of Nanomesh Poly (3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) covalently functionalized graphene oxide
- 1 Downloads
In this work, we report a simple and effective method to prepare conducting poly (3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)/thiophene-grafted graphene oxide (Th-GO-PEDOT) composite with enhanced microwave absorption properties. The first step, the carboxyl group of graphene oxide was converted into an acyl chloride intermediate by treating with thionyl chloride and then reacted with thiophene to give the thiophene group. The second step, the target product of Th-GO-PEDOT was successfully obtained by in-situ polymerization of 3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene on the surface of thiophene-grafted graphene nanosheets (Th-GO). The resulting samples were fully characterized by Raman spectroscopy, FT-IR, X-ray and Vector network analyzer. The as-prepared Th-GO-PEDOT composites exhibited superior electromagnetic microwave absorption performance and showed the minimum reflection loss (RL) of − 47.5 dB (99.9% microwave absorption) at 15.5 GHz frequency and effective frequency (RL ≤ − 10 dB) of 4.9 GHz only 1.5 mm matching thickness. This study found that the strong covalent bond interaction between PEDOT and graphene is the crucial factor for the enhanced EM absorption performance, which provided a method for designing and manufacturing the microwave absorption materials further to meet the requirements of the ideal absorber.
The work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51672222, 51602259). The authors thank the Analysis And Testing Center of Northwest Polytechnic University for Electron Microscopy for their technical assistance in SEM and TEM.
- 1.L. Yan, C. Hong, B. Sun, G. Zhao, Y. Cheng, S. Dong, D. Zhang, X. Zhang, In situ growth of core-sheath heterostructural SiC nanowire arrays on carbon fibers and enhanced electromagnetic wave absorption performance. Acs Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9, 6320–6331 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.P. Wang, L. Cheng, L. Zhang, One-dimensional carbon/SiC nanocomposites with tunable dielectric and broadband electromagnetic wave absorption properties. Carbon 125, 207–220 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.P. Li, Z. Qu, X. Chen, X. Huo, X.C. Zheng, D. Wang, W. Yang, L. Ji, P. Liu, X. Xu, Soluble graphene composite with aggregation-induced emission feature: the non-covalent functionalization and application in explosive detection. J. Mater. Chem. C 5 (2017)Google Scholar
- 37.L. Wang, B. Wen, X. Bai, C. Liu, H. Yang, Facile and green approach to the synthesis of zeolitic imidazolate framework nanosheet-derived 2D Co/C composites for a lightweight and highly efficient microwave absorber. J. Colloid Interface Sci. (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2018.12.111 Google Scholar
- 41.F. Wu, Y. Wang, M. Wang, Using organic solvent absorption as a self-assembly method to synthesize three-dimensional (3D) reduced graphene oxide (RGO)/poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT) architecture and its electromagnetic absorption properties. Rsc Adv. 4(91), 49780–49782 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar